VB 4.0.0 PL1 – not even an alpha!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starnak
    • Jan 2010

[Forum] VB 4.0.0 PL1 – not even an alpha!!!

I honestly haven’t expected this frame from vbulletin team. I have fixed their bugs and issues couple of days and the end is not even near There is a list of major critical bugs, which made the forum unusable for end users (!):

- New system with style variables covers about 20% of them. Albums, navbar, uploading, even menu in user’s private area – hardcoded in the templates. So, if your forum is in different color scheme, you should correct not only the list of the variables, but routinely search in which template you should correct hardcoded color values. Trust me this is a day work at least. Really disturbing
    - I understand, the “div” layout is so cool against “table”, but now there is not one page looking the same in different browsers. So you should expect hard-to-detect bugs, like the date-time of the messages is not displayed in some IE versions (I can’t fix this yet…)
    - Layout is badly written, so if you have any end users with screen resolution of 1024*768 or less, you should change the templates, or the layout will be unusable for them (controls and links are placed one over another)
    - Extended editor mode won’t work in IE7 or IE8 with compatibility mode. You see enormous page with no controls at all and that’s all. Fix: remove class=”…” from <p> with forum rules.
    - Attaches won’t work. Fix: this is server security issue, you should disable mod_security in .htaccess
    - There is a bug in the search template layout (new messages), so the column with statistics (posts: replies in IE7 looks like char-by-char vertically, something like that:
    - r
    - e
    - p
    - l
    - i
    - e
    - s
    - etc. Fix: put a min-width: 75px or so in the corresponding class.
    - Login-password pair in the header don’t work in Opera Mini, you can’t log in via them. Only if you try to post a reply, there is additional login-password prompt, which surprisingly works.
    - IE7 textarea background is always white in editor mode. So great if your forum color is white also! Quick reply mode – there are no controls at all, so the mode is unusable for end users.
    - Multiquote – the checked messages remains checked after reply, so you should uncheck them back, or they will be included in any next quote. Very funny, indeed
    - Moderator checked messages disappear after switching to different page in the theme. You can’t select a set of messages from 2 or more pages – how should I keep my forum in order?
    - Setting for DST time difference for guests is there from 3.* versions (maybe even earlier), but don’t work till now.

You think this is full list? Far from it! There is enormous amount of small issues here and there, (for example there is a setting for columns in smiles box, but the width, hardcoded in the template, make this setting unusable – you can’t set more than 3 columns anyway) but you spend many hours to fix them

Honestly, vbulletin team should be very ashamed for delivering this New Year “present” to their customers.

Other forum 3.8.x owners, please be advised – 4.0.0 PL1 is very raw and full of critical bugs, your end users will not be pleased with this “upgrade”, and you (if you can), will spend great amount of time fixing so many bugs and issues for your own money!!!
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Tell us how you really feel.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• vivamexico55
      • Mar 2005

- Login-password pair in the header don’t work in Opera Mini, you can’t log in via them. Only if you try to post a reply, there is additional login-password prompt, which surprisingly works.
      Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem, I didn't think anyone else used Opera mini =)

Hey, if your complaints are valid, report them in the bug tracker, because here they'll only be ignored. Good luck

Comment

• Darkimmortal
        • Apr 2009

Those are critical bugs now?

Comment

• Wynand
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.6.x

I disagree with the critical part, but I think most of us agree that the release shoud've gone different than the way it went. In the past, the product was finished when it was finished, for vB4 I see they announced a release date for the first time, and for the first time I find myself to call a vB product unfinished.
          I hoped to migrate a board to vB4 when it came out (and promised my staff to switch to vB4 when it came out), but I can make no other conclusion than that I need to wait with it. I do not want to give my users a half working forum.
          It's not the fall that kills you— it's the sudden stop at the end.
          Learn from the mistakes of others, because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comment

• AlexanderT
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by vivamexico55
            Hey, if your complaints are valid, report them in the bug tracker, because here they'll only be ignored. Good luck
            True, but you'd hope that it wouldn't require all our bug reporting for IB to realize that vB 4 is, well, buggy. It's not that we're getting paid for reporting.

Comment

• jacobsen1
              • Dec 2007
              • 3.6.x

is vb4 buggy? Yep.
              is vb4 better than vb3? Yep.

it's been a massive PITA tracking down all these issues on my own board, but I'm already liking it more than 3. I do feel those of us using it now still should be in some sort of beta (free) program though. Paying FULL price for the privilege to help fix bugs is a bit much IMHO.

Comment

• jhabers
                • Nov 2009

its a x.0.0 release, what do you expect? I'm sure 3.0.0 was buggy (not sure though, wasnt running it back then)
                Maxum Boat Forum / Computer Repair Cary NC

Comment

• lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 3.0.0 Gamma

jhabers 3.0.0 have 0 active bugtracker tickets at the time of release.
                  http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

Comment

• lovevn
                    • Sep 2004

I have tried it on my friends board. It is awful! The CMS does not fully support unicode(expecially if you comment on an article the character will be broken). And the search engine is bad. I decided stay with vbulletin 3.8.4 now.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by jhabers
                      its a x.0.0 release, what do you expect? I'm sure 3.0.0 was buggy (not sure though, wasnt running it back then)
                      Look here:

MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Starnak
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Darkimmortal
                        Those are critical bugs now?
                        What do you call them if 40% of your users can't use the forum for posting replies???
                        Last edited by Starnak; Sun 10 Jan '10, 3:52am.

Comment

• Starnak
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by steven s
                          Tell us how you really feel.
                          I feel lucky. I am programmer myself and some time ago I spent some time looking in VB code, and I understand how it works well enough. So I can fix most of the mostly disturbing bugs. But I feel myself stupid for trusting vb team enough for blindly upgrade from 3.8 to 4.0.

Comment

• waynem
                            • Dec 2009

DOn't worry, you are in good company. Most of Microsoft's products are the same way.

Comment

• Arkham
                              • Mar 2001
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Starnak
                              I feel lucky. I am programmer myself and some time ago I spent some time looking in VB code, and I understand how it works well enough. So I can fix most of the mostly disturbing bugs. But I feel myself stupid for trusting vb team enough for blindly upgrade from 3.8 to 4.0.
                              Great, Mr. 3-Post, so if that's the case just do that and stop annoying us.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...