Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eternal_
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

[Forum] Why won't additional styles be created?

Is this a bug? Why won't additional styles be created?

I can't work on any new styles because the only one that will change when I work on style vars is the default one. I upgraded from 3.8.x deleted all the styles except one before upgrade (because you can't delete the default one), and now I have no way of creating new styles.

I'd like to give my members some options, and I'd like to work on styles behind the scenes before I allow them to be made available to members, but I can't. I can't do anything with new styles.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

You don't have the option Add Child Style in the dropdown?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Super Jinni
      • Feb 2008

In Admin control panel go to > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Then click on [Add New Style] in the bottom > in the Add New Style page give it a name and set other options as desired, you can also set Allow User Selection to No from there if you don't want users to be able to see and select this new style > finally press save and you are done. you can now make changes to the new style as you wish via the Stylevar, not via main css as it doesn't work any longer.

This should work as it works for me.

Comment

• kat00
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Super Jinni
        In Admin control panel go to > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Then click on [Add New Style] in the bottom > in the Add New Style page give it a name and set other options as desired, you can also set Allow User Selection to No from there if you don't want users to be able to see and select this new style > finally press save and you are done. you can now make changes to the new style as you wish via the Stylevar, not via main css as it doesn't work any longer.

This should work as it works for me.
        That's what you think.........go and look at your new style from another PC.....

If you set "Allow User Selection" to "No" The style reverts to Default...............Not in the PC that the style was created in because the style has been cached in that PC..........But check it in another PC it will be the default style.
        ttttt

Comment

• bigwater
          • Jan 2007

Well typically you set "allow user selection" to "no" while you work on the design... then when you're finished you go back and change it to "allow user selection" to "yes" so that it can actually be seen from another pc.
          Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• kat00
            • Dec 2006

Point is that if you set it to no to begin with, the style will never change, it will always remain default.

Converserly, if you only want a style for certain usergroups that is non selectable, in other words, force a usergroup to view a selected forum in a particular style, the only way you can do that is to allow selection by by all users. As soon as you set user selection to "No" the style reverts to default, regardless at what stage of the process you select "No"
            Last edited by kat00; Sun 3 Jan '10, 5:16pm.
            ttttt

Comment

• bigwater
              • Jan 2007

Sounds like you're saying this is a bug in the new version (doh, dumb me, like you said in the original post), because this has not been the default behaviour in older versions. It probably needs to be added to the bug tracker so it will be noticed by the developers.
              Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• kat00
                • Dec 2006

That's exactly right the older versions certain you could do what we are discussing........But not with 4.0.

VB are aware of it and it has been listed as a bug.
                ttttt

Comment

• Super Jinni
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by kat00
                  That's what you think.........go and look at your new style from another PC.....

If you set "Allow User Selection" to "No" The style reverts to Default...............Not in the PC that the style was created in because the style has been cached in that PC..........But check it in another PC it will be the default style.
                  I thought you only want to create a new style then customize it. In that case it will work the way I told you. And for sure if you use another PC (or even another browser) the default style be back for the caching reason you mentioned.

Originally posted by kat00
                  Point is that if you set it to no to begin with, the style will never change, it will always remain default.

Converserly, if you only want a style for certain usergroups that is non selectable, in other words, force a usergroup to view a selected forum in a particular style, the only way you can do that is to allow selection by by all users. As soon as you set user selection to "No" the style reverts to default, regardless at what stage of the process you select "No"
                  Well, this explains what exactly you want, and seems to be a bug. will follow up in the bug tracker.

Comment

• Eternal_
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in 4.0.1 because I need to create new styles, but it's useless as it is now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...