X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drago13
    • Mar 2009
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] rss feed duplicate problem

I have RSS feeds that automatically post to threads. Here the past few days, if a feed posts, it duplicates over and over again. usually 6-10 times the same posts. It worked fine before the upgrade.. Anyone else have this problem. And does anyone know a solution.. thanks in advance...
  • Drago13
    • Mar 2009
    • 4.1.x

I had to disable my rss feeds.. it was getting ridiculous.. I hope someone knows what causes this...

Comment

• Zips
      • Dec 2003

Also getting this problem. It'll send out the feed once for new items and then about an hour later I'll notice my RSS feed picked up another duplicate. No edits or changes were made to the news post, it just sends it out again. Fortunately, I've only had it go out twice, at most, and not the 6-10 times that the OP here has.

Comment

• Drago13
        • Mar 2009
        • 4.1.x

Anyone???

Comment

• maximutt
          • Feb 2008
          • 4.0.x

I've noticed a few duplicate posts as well.

This should be reported as a bug.

Comment

• SemperFideles
            • Oct 2006
            • 3.7.x

Same problem here.

Does the vBulletin staff read and respond to posts here? I've noticed that I've posted a few questions that have never received any attention. I have to rely more on vBulletin.org. I guess I'll check over there too.
            Rich

Comment

• mikec_nvnews
              • Jun 2009

I enabled an RSS feed a few months ago and started receiving duplicate posts last week. There were so many duplicate postings that I had to disable the feed.

When using the preview feed under the edit RSS feed in the vBulletin control panel, the feed looks fine. The source of the feed also looks fine:

Bummer...

Posted in wrong forum. Please move to the vBulletin 3.7 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting forum.
              Last edited by mikec_nvnews; Wed 10 Feb '10, 7:55am.

Comment

• mikec_nvnews
                • Jun 2009

It's suprising that I'm replying to my own post, but I would like to get to the bottom of what is causing the duplicate RSS news posts. If someone on the vBulletin staff is willing to investigate this matter, I will gladly provide assistance.

I am determined to find the cause and will ensure that this thread remains relavant until this issue is resolved.
                Last edited by mikec_nvnews; Wed 10 Feb '10, 3:38pm.

Comment

• understated
                  • Feb 2010

Same problem here. It is not every item in the feed, and does not happen every time. It does occur in more than one feed, though the only correlation I can find is that of the more active feed being more susceptible to duplication. My first suspicion was that of minor edits being made by the source--not so; something else is at work here.

On an unrelated note, at least no one has made a snarky retort admonishing anyone to use the search feature...yet.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

Are these on new installs or upgraded sites?

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Also, try deleting all RSS feeds from the RSS Feed Manager and recreate them.

Do you have the same problem?
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• kat00
                      • Dec 2006

I'm not the only one then.

I think I have stopped mine from duplicating by putting only one search word for each feed.
                      ttttt

Comment

• mikec_nvnews
                        • Jun 2009

No plugins and I've re-created the RSS feed to no avail. I've turned the feed on temporarily so folks can appreciate how messy this situation is:

The source of the feed is here.

Update: Note that feeds posted prior to 2/8/2010 were never duplicated. Wow, what a mess the News Headline forum is already
                        Last edited by mikec_nvnews; Fri 12 Feb '10, 6:36am.

Comment

• mikec_nvnews
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kat00
                          I'm not the only one then.

I think I have stopped mine from duplicating by putting only one search word for each feed.
                          Can you elaborate on this fix?

Comment

• kat00
                            • Dec 2006

I'm not sure its a fix mate and not much elaboration required. In the search items for words box I am limiting it to only one word for a search, when my duplicated threads were occuring I had serveral words in that box, now I have several different one word searches. Mmy feeds are fairly limited and I probably only see a feed once a week, that is why I am not convinced its a fix.

It is incredibly curious that my duplicated posts also started on 08/02 as well and I have a different source to you.
                            ttttt

Comment

• understated
                              • Feb 2010

Trevor,

When I first ran the diagnostic, I had innumerable problems. Upon re-reading your post, I realized that I had changed both the modcp and admincp folder names to slow down the baddies a bit--moving all the contents solved all those issues except one...

The only file that has a non-expected contents message now is one called "blank.html"
                              There are another four that are parts of my four plug-ins, everything else is okay.

I will reupload this one file if necessary, but I am extremely hesitant to overwrite the whole works yet again because I am still fixing the fallout from our 4.0.2 upgrade--it did not go smoothly. I shiver at the notion of running the upgrade script again as well.

I can appreciate your suggesting the shotgun approach because it is most efficient for you, but I am not on board with it. Have you had any developments or other similar reports since your post of ten days prior?

Thank You

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...