HELP... Dbase Error, Site down? what do i do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbrd
    • Jul 2007

[Forum] HELP... Dbase Error, Site down? what do i do?

i was dealing with the upgrade, was working fine. Now have i been hacked? i now get this error:

Database error
    The http://www.s8r8.com database has encountered a problem.

i have no idea what this .com is??? some wacky middle eastern site. this is my address:

Please help what do I do? all my members are freaking out blowing up my phone.

thank you sooooo much in advance.

brian
  • DoE
    • Sep 2007

I checked your site, and went directly to showthread.php. I was redirected to the s8 site.

Disable all plugins. Re-upload your vB files, switch your style to the default style, and search your dB for s8r8.

When you are done, change your DB password, and your root password.

Comment

• tbrd
      • Jul 2007

thanks for the reply Doe..

can i get to the control panel manually to disable plugins? all i added was vbadvanced.

i was told to reupload but the script fails... was sent to the bugs forum... now no response there!

very discouraged....

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Also check that there's no redirect scripts in your forum root.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• tbrd
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          Also check that there's no redirect scripts in your forum root.
          what would they be named? sorry i am vb illiterate....

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Try looking for .htaccess or any files that were uploaded on a different date to the one you uploaded the vB files.
            Vote for:

Comment

• tbrd
              • Jul 2007

Try looking for .htaccess or any files that were uploaded on a different date to the one you uploaded the vB files.
              i didnt see any of these files. im inquiring through my host about the sql database...

Comment

• poolking
                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by tbrd
                i didnt see any of these files. im inquiring through my host about the sql database...
                Because .htaccess is a hidden file that's why you won't see it.

Comment

• acwatts
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Your site says you are running VB4 alpha 6 ?

Comment

• tbrd
                    • Jul 2007

thank you all for helping.....thanks to no help from vb, my host restored a backup... lost a week of posts

but back to 3.8!!! woo hoo

acehost.net rocks for customer support!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Aug 2002
                      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by tbrd
                      thank you all for helping.....thanks to no help from vb
                      Sorry but if you have an issue with a compromised database or file, it's not a vB problem unless a new vulnerability in the latest software has been found and exploited.

You were also running an unstable version of your software which wasn't supported by vB.

You're welcome.
                      Vote for:

Comment

• tbrd
                        • Jul 2007

Sorry but if you have an issue with a compromised database or file, it's not a vB problem unless a new vulnerability in the latest software has been found and exploited.

You were also running an unstable version of your software which wasn't supported by vB.

You're welcome.
                        trevor... not all users are as keen with vb as you im sure...

as a user for 2 years... i had no problems with updates. i get an email on how great 4.0 is. i understood i would loose any plugins...fine. i upgrade and it is compromised a few days later....hmmm? sounds like a vb 4.0 hole.

as far as the unstable version not supported by VB... well all i did was follow the instructions in the members area and download what i was given. and i am to blame for this?

i keep a tight lid on users... in fact, i personnaly verify each before allowing access due to the incredible amount of spambots.

now im scared to do any updates....vb admin panel is now telling me to update to a newer 3.8 patch level... should I?

i mean no disrespect, i am just discouraged.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

There are exploits at other levels of webservers that allow vBulletin to be defaced. This is because they've bypassed all of our protection by having direct access to the server in some way. vBulletn, all software, is only as secure as every other point in the system.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Aug 2002
                            • 5.7.X

You talk about getting no help from us - I was merely pointing out that the software you chose to run was unsupported software.
                            Vote for:

Comment

• tbrd
                              • Jul 2007

again i mean no disrespect toward vb or anyone here. i merely was frantic in my search for a solution. as i read more and become more literate i understand the threat could have been a direct attack on the database.?. and the no help was derived from other threads seeming to get more attention. and, i had a technical ticket which really didnt help at all then directed me to the bug forum where it sat while others had replys, in fact, it never got a reply, even to say go to my host.

this stuff is why i really dont like forum communication.

please close this thread.

Comment