Wait for vBadvanced 4.0 or jump to Jelsoft CMS?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JackieChun
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.8.x

[CMS] Wait for vBadvanced 4.0 or jump to Jelsoft CMS?

Successfully upgraded my forums to 4.0, and of course, vBadvanced is broken now. Jelsoft's goal is obviously to make you pay for more stuff. The question is, is CMS alone worth upgrading to the Suite for? My license doesn't expire for 6 months and I don't want to sink $200 for a CMS module.

I want to hear from users, not Jelsoft employees. I loved the vBadvanced integration, but not sure how long it's going to take them to get a new version out.
  • Wep333
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

VbCMS is buggy to say the least, do you read the forums ?

Comment

• marinelife
      • Oct 2008

Many users have complained about it and hate it. I like it, so far it does what I need but I have a small forum with only 25 users at this time.

Comment

• kat00
        • Dec 2006

I hated CMS at first, it sure takes a bit to work it out but you can get some pretty good results with it....

Here is a screen shot from my test server........

ttttt

Comment

• vivamexico55
          • Mar 2005

I'm in a love / hate relationship with the CMS right now, ask me again in 6 months! But I'm thinking that I'd be recommending the vbCMS in that time, if the developers improve it as fast as they worked this month.

Comment

• bstillman
            • Jun 2007
            • 3.8.x

I plan on using both. The vBCMS is seriously lacking as a front page/portal. However, as an article system it's pretty sweet. I plan on using vBA4 for my front end.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Note that vBadvanced, as good as it is, is NOT a Content Management System, it is basically a portal. A very good one, especially for free, but not a fully fledged CMS.

That's not to say that people cannot do with vBadvanced the same things they may be planning to use the CMS for, since many will use the CMS simply as a portal to their site, but that is underusing the features of a CMS.

If it's JUST a portal you want, and you don't like the CMS, then do look at vBadvanced. But if you want a fully fledged CMS, vBadvanced will disappoint, and to be fair it has never claimed otherwise.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• steven s
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                Note that vBadvanced, as good as it is, is NOT a Content Management System, it is basically a portal. A very good one, especially for free, but not a fully fledged CMS.

That's not to say that people cannot do with vBadvanced the same things they may be planning to use the CMS for, since many will use the CMS simply as a portal to their site, but that is underusing the features of a CMS.

If it's JUST a portal you want, and you don't like the CMS, then do look at vBadvanced. But if you want a fully fledged CMS, vBadvanced will disappoint, and to be fair it has never claimed otherwise.
                I don't get it. I love vBadvanced and will use it as soon as it's ported over for my forums, but it was never a CMS.
                I don't know why people insist on that it is?
                ...steven
                www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                  • Apr 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JackieChun
                  Successfully upgraded my forums to 4.0, and of course, vBadvanced is broken now. Jelsoft's goal is obviously to make you pay for more stuff. The question is, is CMS alone worth upgrading to the Suite for? My license doesn't expire for 6 months and I don't want to sink $200 for a CMS module.

I want to hear from users, not Jelsoft employees. I loved the vBadvanced integration, but not sure how long it's going to take them to get a new version out.
                  I initially paid for the suite in order to upgrade the bogs. When the beta was made public I tested the CMS hoping I would be able to use it and get the full value of my purchase. After testing it over the past few BETAs and RCs, I find myself looking forward to the release of vBA 4.0.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I think it depends on what you used vbadvanced for. vba has many modules that vb's CMS currently does not offer. This will take some time. In the end the CMS will be much wider used then vbadvanced and therefore we can expect more widgets than vba currently has.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• badawidollah
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 5.0.X

i love vbadvanced
                      hope its still free for my vb4

i am still using RC2
                      the best Forum You Ever See. Best style and Best Index www.nusantaraku.org

i need to make a link with you, do u need to make a link with my forum? together we achieve more

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...