X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wep333
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

[CMS] where is the default widgets' source code

Currently, forum blocks are redundan t with widgets. This is a shame.

I would like to manually "convert" some widgets to forum blocks, but I can't find anywhere the source code of the default types of widgets. Does anyone know where to find them ?
  • Dody
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.8.x

The widdget's files are located at packages\vbcms\widget
    I don't think it is that easy to do, otherwise vB team would have done it.
    while(true){
    if(
    $someone->needsHelp() && $i->canHelp()) $post->help();
    if(
    $i->findBug()) $post->bug();
    }

Comment

• Wep333
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.6.x

thanks a lot Dody,

i'll do my best, doesn't seem too hard.

As far as VB devs are concerned, thye proved they are completely braindead by not make blocks the same as widgets. A complete waste of time.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2009
        • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Wep333
        Currently, forum blocks are redundan t with widgets. This is a shame.

I would like to manually "convert" some widgets to forum blocks, but I can't find anywhere the source code of the default types of widgets. Does anyone know where to find them ?
        There is a boot process used for the CMS. It's computationally fairly expensive. The CMS system requires and takes advantage of it. Since Forum was mostly pre-4.0 code, it doesn't use the CMS boot code and doesn't need it. We wrote forum blocks as essentially lightweight widgets to maximize speed. So if you want to use widgets to replace forum blocks, feel free. It's not very difficult, but you have to run the CMS boot. Be aware your site will run slower. You can see how the widgets are instantiated by looking at the content controller, in packages/vbcms/controller/content.php.

Yeah, we're pretty brain-dead.
        Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• vivamexico55
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Edwin Brown

Yeah, we're pretty brain-dead.
          Don't take it personally, when we come to post in this forum most of us are already really frustrated by some issue and sometimes vent a little too much. But I think the majority of users respects you and depends on you guys, I personally appreciate that you help users directly.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Mar 2009
            • 5.5.x

Originally posted by vivamexico55
            Don't take it personally, when we come to post in this forum most of us are already really frustrated by some issue and sometimes vent a little too much. But I think the majority of users respects you and depends on you guys, I personally appreciate that you help users directly.
            Thanks for the kind words. I understand people get frustrated, and I don't take it personally. I just didn't think I could respond and pretend I didn't read that.

I'm old enough to have gone through Usenet flame wars. Now those days were vicious.
            Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...