Why can't I delete/edit the default tabs in the Nav Tab bar?!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swgino
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

Why can't I delete/edit the default tabs in the Nav Tab bar?!!!!

I am extremely frustrated by not being able to have complete editing control over the Nav Tab bar.
    I'm referring to the bar with the tabs where it reads Forum Blogs What's New

I know you can add new tabs, but what if I want to remove those default ones?

My site has multiple forums. So not being able to change the word 'Forum' to 'Forums' sucks.
    Also, I only have one blog. So not being able to change the word 'Blogs' to 'Blog' sucks.
    It is ridiculous.

I have no interest in the 'What's New' tab. I'd like to be able to totally remove it.

So what I'm asking for is total editing control over the Nav Tab bar.
    The ability to completely remove, add, or edit EVERY tab in that section. Even (and most importantly) the default ones.
    It would be even better if you could select the text color for each individual tab as well in case I want to highlight some of them.

Can someone please help with this??!

Last edited by swgino; Tue 22 Dec '09, 8:57am.
  • Removed-836727
    Banned by User Request
    • Apr 2006

Then vote here ^^
    If http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...eir-importance is true, the priority is getting higher when people vote for it

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Have you tried changing the phrases related to those tabs?

Comment

• Art Andrews
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Zachery
        Have you tried changing the phrases related to those tabs?
        Zachery,

I am working with Gino on his site and yes, we could change the phase for the forum tab... but he is looking for something (I don't think he is going to get) much more expansive in which he has total control over the tab system without having to perform heavy template modification.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

You're right, if you don't want to edit the templates you're not going to get much control over those items.

Comment

• swgino
            • Dec 2009
            • 3.8.x

Why can't vbulletin change this?
            In my opinion it was completely silly to not provide edit-ability to those tabs.
            Seems like a glaring design flaw.
            Ridiculous.

Comment

• swgino
              • Dec 2009
              • 3.8.x

At this point, I'll do anything to get that 'what's new' tab removed and be able to edit the text on the forum and blogs tabs.
              Unfortunately though, neither Braks or myself have the know how to change the templates.

But in my opinion, we shouldn't have to. Those types of options should have already been put in place (or be enabled in the next minor software update)
              For crying out loud, there are a million options for everything else under the sun that almost no one will ever use, know, or care about.
              But when it comes to the most prominent tab bar in the entire program, you can't even edit the text?!!!!!!
              It very much feels to me that someone totally dropped the ball in regards to this.

Comment

• janaf
                • Dec 2009

There are many postings suggesting an editor for the tabs and links in the header. Vote for them / support them and this issue will move up the ladder.

Comment

• swgino
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 3.8.x

I didn't know there were others.
                  But that makes me feel good that I'm not alone with this issue.

I would love to cast a vote. Can you be more specific as to how to go about doing that.

Comment

• Removed-836727
                    Banned by User Request
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by swgino
                    I didn't know there were others.
                    But that makes me feel good that I'm not alone with this issue.

I would love to cast a vote. Can you be more specific as to how to go about doing that.
                    i've postet it in the second post
                    Originally posted by ragtek
                    Then vote here ^^
                    If http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...eir-importance is true, the priority is getting higher when people vote for it

Comment

• Meje
                      • Oct 2007

But when it comes to the most prominent tab bar in the entire program, you can't even edit the text?!!!!!!
                      You can edit the text, without even touching the templates. Go to Language and Phrases> Search in Phrases type in What's New? and check 'case sensitive' and 'exact match' to YES

You will see it listed at the top of the page, click edit and call it what ever you want.

Mind you I DO understand that its VERY frustrating that there is not more control over the nav bar. I hope that VB will make this a priority in the following releases, and add in the nav bar as a menu item in admin. We really do need to be able to have complete control over this area, without having to edit templates.

Comment

• Removed-836727
                        Banned by User Request
                        • Apr 2006

And instead of 10 threads with 4 votes, there should be one with 100 votes^^

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

We've given you the ability to edit those tabs by having them in the templates. They're not hardcoded in some php file some where. They're editable via the templates.

Comment

• swgino
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ragtek
                            i've postet it in the second post
                            I saw that and followed the link. But it is not clear how/where to actually go about doing it.
                            I'm all for it as long as someone points me in the right (much more specific) direction.

Comment

• Removed-836727
                              Banned by User Request
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by swgino
                              I saw that and followed the link. But it is not clear how/where to actually go about doing it.
                              I'm all for it as long as someone points me in the right (much more specific) direction.
                              Sorry, i've thought you're talking about the suggestion threads.

To edit them, you'll need to edit the navbar template.

Comment