X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • footose
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.5.x

what if you run forums.whatever.com and want the CMS at www.whatever.com

that means you are going to get dinged for dupe content in Google for forums.whatever.com/forums.php and forums.whatever.com/content.php AND www.whatever.com/forums.php and www.whatever.com/content.php, totally messing up your rankings.

Wow, am I starting to regret buying the vb suite and getting rid of wordpress for free? Hopefully not...

Comment

• DebC
      • Oct 2003

Sooo, Lemme get this straight. They knew about this in the beta to be a huge sore spot. Am I correct in saying they did not fix it and went ahead with the gold release anyway? If this is true, I think I'd rather wait to upgrade when they've addressed this issue in a release. Finding this out now is a prime example of a good reason why they shouldn't have forced us to pay for a package that wasn't ready yet.

Comment

• crazy4bass
        • Nov 2004

^^ Indeed! Explains why the push to railroad people into early upgrades. I guess it's what we get for buying the cow without tasting the milk first. not sure what I'm gonna do. I'm a bit peeved though that the CMS is so lacking. Not sure I understand the reasoning for not supporting old themes either, that's kind of lame. Who's got the time to redo their themes? Fine, feature limit me if I don't but I guess now we can all look the same.

The forum itself does look promising though, blogs still look like crap as compared to Wordpress. No real article management as with a Drupal style CMS, like the blogs, they're just glossed over posts. Too bad I can't get a refund, I'd just stick with the 4.0 forum license and to heck with the rest of it. vbAdvanced will be updated to work with 4.0 so who needs the hassle of an overpriced turd. Bummed!

Comment

• DebC
          • Oct 2003

Wow...I think we've been Scrooged...

Comment

• Bram
            • May 2007

Exactly you ruin your carefully build SEO at once.

@ a few posts above: i do have vBSEO installed, how do i rewrite that so the CMS appears on www. ?

Comment

• footose
              • Feb 2006
              • 3.5.x

As pretty as the forum is, it really is NOT intuitive to style at all. In fact, it's next to impossible to find things to style you would otherwise just use regular CSS for.

There are at least 3 different area's of the forum that you HAVE to go to - to style the site. Really frustrating actually.

This makes it so hard to style anything different from other forums.

Who's idea was it to make the "Reply to thread" and "post new thread" buttons all generic?? I want to use custom images, but now I have to edit templates to get them.. and every time I update the site I will have to reedit the templates where as before images were fine. It's not like we are trying to SEO a "reply to thread" button, making it be text was a mistake.

I already preformed the upgrade on my forum so it's too late for me and will have to deal with the short comings.

I'm sure if enough people complain, changes will happen.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                • Aug 2004
                • 4.2.X

The thing is i would like to see that categories would also be a subdomain so when i make cat1, cat2, cat3 i would like to see sub1, sub2, sub3.domain.tld this really should be a basic function.

Comment

• hqlman
                  • Aug 2008

weird i didnt realise that u cant have this suite setup to show the homepage on www.url.com :S

Comment

• ComPilot
                    • Jun 2009

I agree that it is rather disappointing that the forums are not set up or have the option to use www.domain.com as a direct access to the CMS. For someone like me who does not know much about these configurations, it makes vB4 forum almost useless. I see some are using a redirect as a temporary fix, however it does not look very professional.
                    Forgive me if I am missing something, however, I can not imagine why vB would not incorporate this in their design.
                    Last edited by ComPilot; Tue 22 Dec '09, 3:54pm.
                    AxeAsylum.com

Comment

• tonmo
                      • Dec 2004
                      • 5.0.X

Just FYI, here is a similar thread dating back to Nov. 13th with 114 posts of frustrated vb users without a solution (just to consolidate)

Comment

• Bram
                        • May 2007

Maybe an official word from the devs how they are gonna address this problem? I have bought many licenses for vB and vBSEO in the past and I plan on continueing to do so as I simply love the forum feature. Maybe we can get a refund on the suite and simple go for vba again?

Comment

• BiZiMDiYaR
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by The Vegan Forum
                          One problem is that whatever we do, the forum will have a new location - so existing links in search engines will not find the original threads (if I'm not mistaken). Or would this be solved if we renamed the main file from forum.php to index.php (which is what it was called in vB3) ?
                          Yeah... that is also what I am saying... the search engines have indexed the /forum and not the root folder. I hope someone will give a good answer on this .

Comment

• Bram
                            • May 2007

It seems that my waiting days are almost over and a solution is in sight! The guys over at vBSEO have addressed the problem and are working on a suitable solution: http://www.vbseo.com/f9/cms-homepage...d-forum-39843/

So untill vB is fixing the problem I will use the good old vBSEO rewriting

Comment

• m5m5m5
                              • Dec 2006

Wow, has this issue been resolved yet?

This is such a basic thing! Any site with a CMS has their www.domain.com as a CMS and then /forums for the actual forums! That's just common sense. Am I regretting buying the suite? PLEASE DON"T MAKE ME REGRET THIS!

Comment

• JonUrban
                                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by m5m5m5
                                Wow, has this issue been resolved yet?

This is such a basic thing! Any site with a CMS has their www.domain.com as a CMS and then /forums for the actual forums! That's just common sense. Am I regretting buying the suite? PLEASE DON"T MAKE ME REGRET THIS!
                                I am waiting too. I've had the CMS at the ....com and the forum at /forums for years. Now I have to change it? YUK! I'll wait.

Comment