Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bram
    • May 2007

How to get the CMS on my www address instead of /forum

Our forum root is located on a subdomain /forum as many other forums out there. Now we have upgraded to vb4 and the CMS page is now located also under /forum.

Is there a way to get the CMS page on www.website.com ?
  • Bram
    • May 2007

Can a moderator move my thread to troubleshooting (it was not there when i created this post)

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
      • Sep 2001

Unfortunately this is not a feature at this time... maybe 4.0.1, maybe vb5... hopefully the roadmap will say.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Bram
        • May 2007

You are kidding me? Don't tell me we have paid a couple of hundred bucks for a system that is not going to work?

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

Sorry bro... that's the apples.

If you have vbseo, I think they are taking care of it thru mod_rewrite. Unfortunately, everyone elses attempts at it didn't work out well.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• IDN
            • Apr 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Bram
            You are kidding me? Don't tell me we have paid a couple of hundred bucks for a system that is not going to work?
            The forum is about 80% good. Blog, haven't tested it.. CMS is a pile of crap. Too bad vB Drupal doesn't work with vB4 and won't. Drupal is a CMS... vBCMS is a... uh.... ****ty system.
            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• webxtc
              • Dec 2009
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by IDN
              The forum is about 80% good. Blog, haven't tested it.. CMS is a pile of crap. Too bad vB Drupal doesn't work with vB4 and won't. Drupal is a CMS... vBCMS is a... uh.... ****ty system.
              Don't know if I'd go as far as you have slamming the CMS. Sure it is a work in progress but that has a lot to do to a learning curve to massage it to get it to do what you want. With regard to having the CMS in one folder and the Forum in another, that drum is being beat all over here and really should be addressed. I bit the bullet and killed my /forum folder and just used my existing vbseo to rewrite the urls to not lose any that were indexed. Sure I lost the /forum which was well ranked but I 301'd it to my new location.

Comment

• taffy056
                • Sep 2004

how about a 301 redirect, that is what I am using at the moment
                Free Kick
                https://apps.facebook.com/freekick-net/forums.php

Comment

• Bram
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by taffy056
                  how about a 301 redirect, that is what I am using at the moment
                  I dont want that as it doesnt look good! Even my good old vbadvanced i could install on /forum and still let it appear as a www. site! I hugely dissappointed that i have to use a stupid redirect to make this work. A CMS system should always be a frontpage imo.

Comment

• nickp
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Isn't it possible to simply rewrite the url and get rid of /forums/ if the user is accessing the cms?

Comment

• Revvin
                      • Oct 2001

Originally posted by Bram
                      I dont want that as it doesnt look good! Even my good old vbadvanced i could install on /forum and still let it appear as a www. site! I hugely dissappointed that i have to use a stupid redirect to make this work. A CMS system should always be a frontpage imo.
                      Completely agree Bram a redirect just looks poor. Other CMS systems have this flexibility but not vbulletin not happy with this either.

Comment

• fusion2
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 3.6.x

I tried doing this from my hosting server domain. But, the CMS, Forum and Blog php files are located in the same main vbulletin directory. So i cant apply:

forum.sitename.com

blog.sitename.com

articles.sitename.com

Really unfortunate vbulletin missed such a simple and commonly used thing like this.

Comment

• CakeOrDeath
                          • Oct 2008

Bugger. I guess this answers my question too

So should I upload all the suite files into the root folder or into the forum folder?

Comment

• acwatts
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

If you want your CMS to be under just your domain, then just move all the files from under /forums to root, then update your details in admincp.

So if your CMS was at www.website.com/forums/ and you do the above your CMS will be at www.website.com

Comment

• The Vegan Forum
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by acwatts
                              If you want your CMS to be under just your domain, then just move all the files from under /forums to root, then update your details in admincp.

So if your CMS was at www.website.com/forums/ and you do the above your CMS will be at www.website.com
                              One problem is that whatever we do, the forum will have a new location - so existing links in search engines will not find the original threads (if I'm not mistaken). Or would this be solved if we renamed the main file from forum.php to index.php (which is what it was called in vB3) ?
                              The Vegan Forum

Comment