Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheLastSuperman
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Stryker412
    I have a newbie question. I currently have a 3.8 board which is live. I want to test out vb4 so I created a new SQL database for the new forum. I installed the forum into a separate directory and am currently running both simultaneously with no issues.

How can I import JUST posts and users/usergroups? I went into the admincp on the 3.8 board and backed up the database.
    Don't use IMPEX for this if you saw my other thread on how to use it.. it's a LAST RESORT.

What you should have done IS:

Make a backup of your Live 3.8 site and then upgrade that copied site. Remember your only allowed one additional instance of a LIVE forum and one vbtest which much be closed to the public i.e. forum closed but admins can access i.e. to test an upgrade

So are you clear? You do not want to try importing anything into your FRESH 4.0 Install, you need to trash it and copy the live site folders, DB and all then make a new DB and import the backup and upload the files to the server in a new directory just like you did for your test site you have now, fill in the new DB's name in the config then connect to make sure it works. If it does work, disable ALL mods via step # 3 above and upgrade the copy of the live site from 3.8 to 4.0 .

Let me know if your good to go with that info!

Mike

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Stryker412
      • May 2005
      • 3.8.x

I have so many templates/plugins/skins etc that I was actually trying to start off fresh while still maintaining the users and posts. I guess that's not possible correct?
      Community Multiplayer Gaming
      www.osfhome.com

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
        • Sep 2008

I have so many templates/plugins/skins etc that I was actually trying to start off fresh while still maintaining the users and posts. I guess that's not possible correct?
        Yes, you need to copy the live site, uninstall ALL mods and the folders/files associated with them and yes disable them via the config file as well. Delete all styles and revert back to default. Make sure everything is default then run the upgrade to 4.0 on the test/copied site .

Mike

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Slayerz
          • Jul 2009
          • 3.8.x

I followed and completed the link, however on step 8 another error was found and said #1 wasn't installed.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slayerz
            I followed and completed the link, however on step 8 another error was found and said #1 wasn't installed.
            If it will not upgrade then I suggest staying with your current version while you look into the reason more in detail or you might simply just need to wait for the Gold Release however what is causing the issue now might cause it then... can you paste the error message for us?

Mike

Comment

• Stryker412
              • May 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman
              Yes, you need to copy the live site, uninstall ALL mods and the folders/files associated with them and yes disable them via the config file as well. Delete all styles and revert back to default. Make sure everything is default then run the upgrade to 4.0 on the test/copied site .

Mike
              So if I upgraded before disabling the mods/styles than I need to start over?
              www.osfhome.com

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                • Sep 2008

So if I upgraded before disabling the mods/styles than I need to start over?
                EXACTLY

If you don't disable mods beforehand it can cause major issues when upgrading even a non-working forum so BACKUP everyone .

Comment

• Stryker412
                  • May 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Can I just re-run the upgrade script or do I have to delete all the files and reupload them?

The upgrade script just updates the sql database correct? So if I delete the SQL db I can just upload a new one then disable plugins, and re-run the upgrade script?
                  Last edited by Stryker412; Wed 25 Nov '09, 6:03pm.
                  www.osfhome.com

Comment

• Slayerz
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 3.8.x

well I did a clean new install, and it installed fine, and admincp works, but when I go to the forum link nothing shows up.

Any fix?

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                      • Sep 2008

well I did a clean new install, and it installed fine, and admincp works, but when I go to the forum link nothing shows up.

Any fix?
                      AdminCP --> Maintnance --> Update Counters

Scroll down... look for

Rebuild Styles
                      This function allows you to completely rebuild all style information. This is necessary after a major upgrade, or if you have manually edited any of the 'special' templates.
                      Check For Styles With No Parent
                      Yes No

Then click rebuild styles and see if that helps!

Mike

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                        • Sep 2008

Can I just re-run the upgrade script or do I have to delete all the files and reupload them?

The upgrade script just updates the sql database correct? So if I delete the SQL db I can just upload a new one then disable plugins, and re-run the upgrade script?
                        Yes, if your deleting then what is it your restoring? The old forum with plugins and mods all in it?

Your asking several questions where I need to know one first before you jump to the next and check your pm's on vb.org.

Mike

Comment

• Slayerz
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Updating style sets with no parent information
                          • No styles needed updating

Updating style information for each style...
                          • Default Style ... (Templates)
                            Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php on line 885
                            (StyleVars) (Replacement Variables)
                            Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php on line 990
                            (CSS)
                            Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php on line 1033
                            (Controls) Done.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                            • Sep 2008

Ok... what is it your either one, not telling us or two, what is it your overlooking? Hmm

So you met the minimum requirements right? And you did a FRESH 4.0 instlal not an upgrade correct?

If you met all requirements and did a fresh install plus the install script did not hang/freeze at all you should see it. Now bare in mind some others do not see it as well, this is all over the 4.0 forums check the threads but many have fixed it by updating the styles, since that threw out an error... I had that once before to on a sire I was working on... re-run the upgrade script... yeap, upgrade script it might get past that where the update styles did not. Also have you tried simply creating a new default style and checking it via admincp? (click the styles name it will open in a new window the forum with that style!)

Double-check everything, including minimum requirements and the files you uploaded... if your not using Filezilla make sure you use a program that chooses the upload mode like FZ does i.e. automatically OR read the install info and it tells you which files to upload in what mode i.e. ASCII or Binary etc.

Always take your time and don't assume you have anything right baecause many have come to me asking for help or hiring me and I find that 60% of the time it is something simple they overlooked

Ok, time for me to enjoy the rest of the night! Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Mike

Updating style sets with no parent information
                            • No styles needed updating

Updating style information for each style...
                            • Default Style ... (Templates)
                              Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php on line 885
                              (StyleVars) (Replacement Variables)
                              Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php on line 990
                              (CSS)
                              Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/adminfunctions_template.php on line 1033
                              (Controls) Done.

Comment

• Stryker412
                              • May 2005
                              • 3.8.x

I think something is hanging me up with the styles as well. I uninstalled ALL my plugins before upgrading as well as disabling them from admincp and putting the line of code into the config.php. I set the forum to use the vb4 default skin as the primary but so far it's all screwed up. I'll try deleting the old styles to see if that helps then re-running the upgrade script.

Where does the default skin lie in the directory structure? What folder does it reside in on vb3?
                              www.osfhome.com

Comment

• Slayerz
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 3.8.x

I managed to fix it, but only problems now are threads come up blank when you click them, and when you reply to them, also groups come up blank page. also register page shows up blank, even though registering is allowed the page shows blank

i searched around and haven't had luck with finding solutions to the problems.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...