X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sworm1
    • Feb 2008

Hi,
    i'm on a slowest connection,
    and for this i can not move backups and various dumps.

Can i create a new folder on my WebServer called "Old Forum" and put inside her all the public_html file?After, i'll go to create a MySql Backup with vbulletin tool and put it again on webserver, should be ok?

After this, i'll start to upload all the vb4 Files and run the upgrade.php file. It is a possible solution?

If the upgrade want work, i'll delete or move, all the vb4 files and i'll re-move , replacing all the vb3 files site in the other folder salved on webserver and i'll restore the backup in MySql.
    Any suggestion?

Thanks

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sworm1
      Hi,
      i'm on a slowest connection,
      and for this i can not move backups and various dumps.
      I feel for you

Can i create a new folder on my WebServer called "Old Forum" and put inside her all the public_html file?After, i'll go to create a MySql Backup with vbulletin tool and put it again on webserver, should be ok?
      You don't need to put in ALL the public_html files JUST a copy of your current site and I would go into forum then make a new folder vB4 so it would be:

public_html/forum/vB4 then paste all your current forums files and make a new empty database and import the backup of the live site. Connect it via the config (change to ehte new yet copied DB) and run tools.php to redo the cookies THEN upgrade it in vB4 folder .

After this, i'll start to upload all the vb4 Files and run the upgrade.php file. It is a possible solution?
      Yeap, I ended my response above with this ?

If the upgrade want work, i'll delete or move, all the vb4 files and i'll re-move , replacing all the vb3 files site in the other folder salved on webserver and i'll restore the backup in MySql.
      Any suggestion?
      Read above, there is no need to touch your LIVE site at all if you make a copy of it in another folder then upgrade to test. DISABLE all mods first in admincp THEN disable in the config file and this is just me but I would delete any spare styles and revert back to default style befor eyou upgrade that copied 3.x forum.

Thanks
      No problem

Former vBulletin Support Staff
      Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
      Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Sworm1
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman
        I feel for you

You don't need to put in ALL the public_html files JUST a copy of your current site and I would go into forum then make a new folder vB4 so it would be:

public_html/forum/vB4 then paste all your current forums files and make a new empty database and import the backup of the live site. Connect it via the config (change to ehte new yet copied DB) and run tools.php to redo the cookies THEN upgrade it in vB4 folder .

Sorry,
        i don't have understand this step, can you explain me better?

Think that my connection is slowest connection and for this i can not move nothing , i can only create with vbulletin tool a MySql backup on my webserver and my host , in necessity case, will restore the forum.
        For this i have need a simply solution, not tools, not "ehte" tools , or some other tool.

If you think that the "system" that i have write above , can work, i'll use it, however:

Make a full database backup
        Move the old forums file in a third folder.
        Upload all the vbulletin files in the main forum folder.
        Disable all the mods
        Run the upgrade script connecting to the forum database
        STOP

If all will work ok, i'll don't touch other, if don't work , my host will restore the previous database and i'll put the old files in the main forum folder.

Can work in this mode?

I'm not expert very much, and i never used the tool.php or each other not standard webmaster tool.

Comment

• Sworm1
          • Feb 2008

I have upgrade,
          the forum work fine,
          but the Home and the Blog tabs are not showed, anybody know what's the problem?

Before i have installed vbadvanced

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
            • Sep 2008

I have upgrade,
            the forum work fine,
            but the Home and the Blog tabs are not showed, anybody know what's the problem?

Before i have installed vbadvanced
            If you disabled mods via the config file... remove that line from the file then re-upload.. otherwise check the Products Manager and see if they are disabled and if so simply enable them .

Mike

Edit: ohh and sorry I did not get back to you last night, I clicked to read this thread then a knock at the door and we had company over for a while so again sorry for the delay.

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
              • Sep 2008

Again, I'm only posting some PM contents (I normally do not, privacy etc but this is to educate everyone!)

Hi,
              please, can you said me if this process to redo the cookie is very difficult?

I have created a new database with cpanel, i have made a backup of the forum database, now i move the forum files in a new empty folder called "oldForum" and i put the vb4 files in the main forum folder.

Here ok.

Now, after the database it was imported in the new one, i must run the tools.php file for redo the cookie , correct?

There's some settings that i should be know before to proceed in these steps?

Thanks for all that you doing for all not expert users like me.

Thanks again
              Ok so you made a backup of the LIVE sites DB and then moved all your forums files into OLDforum - CHECK

Now you created a new DB and imported the old 3.8 DB right? - CHECK

BUT you need to copy the old forums files from OLDforum and put a copied set into your main forum folder. Your wanting it to be an exact copy of your live site before you upgrade! Now disable ALL mods in Product Manager then Disable them in the config file per step 3 and like I said if it were me I would delete all old styles and revert the forum back to default. TURN OFF THE forum then upload the files and run the upgrade script to update to 4.0.

If it works GREAT... and no use to use tools.php as your in the same directory you used to be in however if you experience login problems try emptying YOUR cookies in your browser 1st then if that does not work use tools.php .

Is that better? Let me know

Mike

Comment

• Sworm1
                • Feb 2008

Yes,
                disabling all the hacks from AdCP end removing the string from config.php the tabs are now showed.

But there's a lot of work to made again.

Secondo question,
                my browser "remember" me , the directory was the same of the vb3 version. I don't have runned tools.php.

Now, one of the first issue that i have seen , is on the PM, try to look :
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	3676010

Why this?

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                  • Sep 2008

Yes,
                  disabling all the hacks from AdCP end removing the string from config.php the tabs are now showed.

But there's a lot of work to made again.

Secondo question,
                  my browser "remember" me , the directory was the same of the vb3 version. I don't have runned tools.php.

Now, one of the first issue that i have seen , is on the PM, try to look :
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]38460[/ATTACH]

Why this?
                  Remember me is in your browser not specifically in the cookies for your site so don't run tools.php unless you have to

The display that way... Bug

It is 4.0 Beta 3 or 4 if you downloaded the latest if not go to the members area and download the just released vBulletin 4.0 Beta 4 I could not tell from that cutoff image if you were on Beta 3 or 4 but make sure your on Beta 4 as it remedies many bugs!

Comment

• Sworm1
                    • Feb 2008

I have beta 4 unfortunately.

And again,
                    in the AdminCP the cms category are not deletable , but in my previous fresh installation, it was possible, why? What errors i have committed?
                    Last edited by Sworm1; Sun 22 Nov '09, 10:42am.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                      • Sep 2008

I have beta 4 unfortunately.

And again,
                      in the AdminCP the cms category are not deletable , but in my previous fresh installation, it was possible, why? What errors i have committed?
                      None unless you saw some on the screen when updating the copy of your site? If not then you can back out of this thread and find a thread with someone sharing that same exact problem most likely in fact I think I saw one the other day. Remember 4.0 Beta 4.. by the time Gold comes out it will be just that, Gold

Comment

• Flyte
                        • Oct 2009

I was able to upgrade with no problems with this code in the config.php file:

PHP Code:
                        define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 
                        But now my mods do not work(because of the code). But when I remove the code my forum does not work and I get an error message.

What could the problem be??

Thanks.

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Flyte
                          I was able to upgrade with no problems with this code in the config.php file:

PHP Code:
                          define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 
                          But now my mods do not work(because of the code). But when I remove the code my forum does not work and I get an error message.

What could the problem be??

Thanks.
                          What you need to do is go to your Products page and disable all the products (or delete them) except the Blog and CMS. Then, go to the Plugins page and disable all the plugins listed under the vbulletin heading (all others should already be off from the last step). Then you may remove that line from the config.php file (or just comment it out with // in front of the line).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Slayerz
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 3.8.x

I get to final upgrade part and pat 4 master style and it stops upgrading like it's frozen.

any fix finish upgrade?

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slayerz
                              I get to final upgrade part and pat 4 master style and it stops upgrading like it's frozen.

any fix finish upgrade?

See post #17

Comment

• Stryker412
                                • May 2005
                                • 3.8.x

I have a newbie question. I currently have a 3.8 board which is live. I want to test out vb4 so I created a new SQL database for the new forum. I installed the forum into a separate directory and am currently running both simultaneously with no issues.

How can I import JUST posts and users/usergroups? I went into the admincp on the 3.8 board and backed up the database.
                                Community Multiplayer Gaming
                                www.osfhome.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...