Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheLastSuperman
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by arena
    Perfect! This is an alternative as well everyone and Meestor_X there's so many different ways to go about it the most important thing is you do a backup of everything JUST IN CASE - IT's BETA 4.0
    Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Tue 17 Nov '09, 9:09pm.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
      • Sep 2008

And remember this is not a contest of whits, it's us helping each other so if you have a better way type it up and post your own thread or if you want it up here in my post that is already stickied POST it and I'll copy it and update the original post with a new section giving you full credit.

Let's work smarter not harder people as this is better instead of... why not this, this is here why can't you blah blah is wasting our time and everyone elses we need to excuse the expression.. poop or get off the pot
      Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Tue 17 Nov '09, 12:45pm.

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• benhalkum
        • Feb 2006
        • 5.0.X

I used php myadmin to copy my live database and used my web host file directory to copy my live directory. Then set the vb3 config to the new database name. Did an upgrade from there and now have a test vb4 upgrade running in less then 20 minutes for a forum that's been active for years.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by benhalkum
          I used php myadmin to copy my live database and used my web host file directory to copy my live directory. Then set the vb3 config to the new database name. Did an upgrade from there and now have a test vb4 upgrade running in less then 20 minutes for a forum that's been active for years.
          GREAT JOB! and your liking it so far right?!

Comment

• benhalkum
            • Feb 2006
            • 5.0.X

Defiantly. Worth the money to upgrade early.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by benhalkum
              Defiantly. Worth the money to upgrade early.
              ROFL!!! I like it too and so do many others plus if you haven't already, check out the skinning going on - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...inning-results

Comment

• CFodder
                • Apr 2008
                • 3.8.x

Pretty much the same as benhalkum, copied live site files to a new directory, copied the live site database to a new one via ssh, actually uninstalled all the mods & deleted files/database entries where needed. Then upgraded to VB4 without a problem at all.

Only small snag I hit was even though it says you don't need to edit the new config.php I had to as it wasn't finding the database .... this led to a great big disaster, but due to my error not the install itself.

Pretty pleased with the beta atm and we're busy getting things to how we like them ... well worth purchasing IMO.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by CFodder
                  Pretty much the same as benhalkum, copied live site files to a new directory, copied the live site database to a new one via ssh, actually uninstalled all the mods & deleted files/database entries where needed. Then upgraded to VB4 without a problem at all.

Only small snag I hit was even though it says you don't need to edit the new config.php I had to as it wasn't finding the database .... this led to a great big disaster, but due to my error not the install itself.

Pretty pleased with the beta atm and we're busy getting things to how we like them ... well worth purchasing IMO.
                  Yet another good upgrade and happy to hear it CFodder!

Comment

• avitor
                    • Jun 2007

i try all posible and is not works for me
                    i install vb4 to new database
                    export old database use phpmyadmin
                    i install bigdump and upload the database file to dump folder
                    try to run the bigdump.php and is shows error
                    BigDump: Staggered MySQL Dump Importer v0.31b

Processing file: akotel.sql
                    Starting from line: 1

Error at the line 21: CREATE DATABASE `akotel` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
                    Query: --
                    --
                    CREATE DATABASE `akotel` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

MySQL: Access denied for user 'mulemain'@'%' to database 'akotel'
                    Stopped on error

Start from the beginning (DROP the old tables before restarting)
                    © 2003-2009 Alexey Ozerov
                    database user and password and config.php and bigdump.php are same user and password
                    what possible to do more please?
                    http://www.horadot.co.za

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by avitor
                      i try all posible and is not works for me
                      i install vb4 to new database
                      export old database use phpmyadmin
                      i install bigdump and upload the database file to dump folder
                      try to run the bigdump.php and is shows error

database user and password and config.php and bigdump.php are same user and password
                      what possible to do more please?
                      You double-checked all documentation? If yes then PM me all the info you have from start to finish it has to be something your overlooking

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                        • Sep 2008

Updated! Cleaned it up a bit and reworded it so hopefully it's less confusing if it was @ all to any of you

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                          • Sep 2008

NM... nm
                          Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Wed 18 Nov '09, 2:37pm.

Comment

• jasons
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Great article..just wish it was avaialble before I upgraded....doesn't anyone think it would be good to add this into the instruction installation text file?

Comment

• MK_1
                              • Mar 2009

thank you for your article!
                              Macht mit beim 2-Wheel-Planet Adventskalender:

2WP Adventskalender

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jasons
                                Great article..just wish it was avaialble before I upgraded....doesn't anyone think it would be good to add this into the instruction installation text file?
                                Thanks for that but this is here when you need it, no point making the install info 3 miles long and more confusing.. the simpler the better.. although a quick set of links for recommendations at the bottom would be nice

Originally posted by MK_1
                                thank you for your article!
                                No problem... seeing as how many have posted and PM'd me lately I really need to do a "How 2 Giude" on installing 4.0 i.e. DISABLE ALL MODS before you do it (and check minimum requirements) so they know all the steps... if I have time perhaps later today or on my time this weekend and if they wanted to use this all they have to do is ask and I'll clean it up and make it look very professional for the install info for vBulletin (really pm me admins or mods etc no problems here and I don't need anything in return).

Mike

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...