X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JChaz
    • Oct 2013
    • 4.2.x

4.2.2 to 4.2.5

I'll start by saying "I'm new to this" having taken over a forum which has been somewhat neglected for a while - which will explain a few things I guess.

My host recently upgraded PHP to 5.6 to solve a few previous problems, which it did , but created more, such as images not displaying correctly in posts and tables not viewing correctly when editing.

Anyhow, the upshot is that I'm on 4.2.2 and probably need to get to 4.2.5 which hopefully will resolve some of the problems encountered.

I downloaded the upgrade from members area.

Prior to doing anything else I thought I'd just check I could get to the upgrade from Admin Control Panel by clicking on "Run Upgrade Script" which resolved to "Error 404 Page not found"

Noted that the URL that the Run upgrade script runs from is forum/install/upgrade.php so checked that this exits in my stucture - no install folder. I'm assuming this means I have to copy the install folder into that path from the upgrade srcript, but not sure.

Searched the forum here for how to do an upgrade, but can only find a very old post which deals with upgrading from 3 to 4, I'm assuming its not as serious an upgrade as that?

I'm probaby heading for 5 eventually but this is a good start perhaps.

Any help anywhere that I can use to do my first upgrade?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If you can access the AdminCP, then the upgrade scripts aren't on the server.

Once you have uploaded all of the 4.2.5 files including the /install folder, you can access the upgrade by going to /install/upgrade.php. The system will determine the version and process all the upgrades between 4.2.2 and 4.2.5.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• JChaz
      • Oct 2013
      • 4.2.x

Thanks Wayne, will take a look.

Comment

• JChaz
        • Oct 2013
        • 4.2.x

Just a bit confusd by the instructions for upgrade. It says upload to your public directory on the host. I have a forum with all files & folders for the current version. When I upload the Upload Folder - does this go as the upload folder somewhere to carry out the upgrade or is it that everything in my Forum folder is being overwritten by the upload contents?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by JChaz
          Just a bit confusd by the instructions for upgrade. It says upload to your public directory on the host. I have a forum with all files & folders for the current version. When I upload the Upload Folder - does this go as the upload folder somewhere to carry out the upgrade or is it that everything in my Forum folder is being overwritten by the upload contents?
          Everything inside the uplaod folder (but not the upload folder itself) gets uploaded to whatever directory/folder your forum files are in.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• JChaz
            • Oct 2013
            • 4.2.x

Thanks Mark, the instructions are vague to someone that hasn't done this before in that it doesn't actually say it, but I'm assuming that when uploading the files you set to overwrite existing files?

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by JChaz
              Thanks Mark, the instructions are vague to someone that hasn't done this before in that it doesn't actually say it, but I'm assuming that when uploading the files you set to overwrite existing files?
              Yes, everything must be overwritten.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• JChaz
                • Oct 2013
                • 4.2.x

Thanks, first thing tomorrow I'll be on it

Comment