• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iPenguin02
    • May 2013
    • 4.0.x

[Suite] Blank page on domain/install/install.php

Hello,

I am having issues installing 4.2.5. I have edited the config.php file in to use mysql. When i try to enter domain/install/install.php I get a blank page.

I am using PHP v5.6 and SQL v.5.6.30

The weird thing is I was able to install Vbulletin v5+ without an issue. When I tried installing 4.2.5 I get a blank page, using the same defaults.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Blank Pages usually signify a PHP error. vBulletin 4.2.5 and vBulletin 5 actually have different installation routines. They are different products. About 90% of the code in vBulletin 5 is different than that in vBulletin 4.2.5.

Please look at your PHP Error Log and see what the error is. You can try putting the site into debug mode but this doesn't always work with vBulletin 4.X.

To do this, you need to edit your config.php file inside the /includes folder
    and add the following line under <?php:

$config['Misc']['debug'] = true;
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• iPenguin02
      • May 2013
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Blank Pages usually signify a PHP error. vBulletin 4.2.5 and vBulletin 5 actually have different installation routines. They are different products. About 90% of the code in vBulletin 5 is different than that in vBulletin 4.2.5.

Please look at your PHP Error Log and see what the error is. You can try putting the site into debug mode but this doesn't always work with vBulletin 4.X.

To do this, you need to edit your config.php file inside the /includes folder
      and add the following line under <?php:

$config['Misc']['debug'] = true;
      Where do the PHP Error logs appear? I tried adding the code before and was never able to locate the error logs. --nvm i found it

PHP Code:
        [11-Jun-2018 16:52:56 UTCPHP Warning:  Use of undefined constant MYSQL_NUM assumed 'MYSQL_NUM' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHPin /Forums/includes/init.php on line 165  [11-Jun-2018 16:52:56 UTCPHP Warning:  Use of undefined constant MYSQL_ASSOC assumed 'MYSQL_ASSOC' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHPin /Forums/includes/init.php on line 165  [11-Jun-2018 16:52:56 UTCPHP Warning:  Use of undefined constant MYSQL_BOTH assumed 'MYSQL_BOTH' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHPin /Forums/includes/init.php on line 165  [11-Jun-2018 16:52:56 UTCPHP Warning:  sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /Forums/includes/class_core.php on line 4224 
      Last edited by iPenguin02; Mon 11 Jun '18, 11:21am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

A warning shouldn't throw a blank page. It isn't an error. However, make sure that you have mysqli enabled within PHP and that you have mysqli stated in the config.php file.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• iPenguin02
          • May 2013
          • 4.0.x

A warning shouldn't throw a blank page. It isn't an error. However, make sure that you have mysqli enabled within PHP and that you have mysqli stated in the config.php file.
          PHP Code:
          $config['Database']['dbtype'] = 'mysqli';
          //$config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf-8';
          $config['Mysqli']['ini_file'] = ''
          dbtype seems to be okay with mysqsli

I tried the charset without //, and with and without the - for -8. Still nothing

I don't know what to put for ini file.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

You shouldn't have to change either the charset or ini_file values. Neither of those would resolve the warning. I don't know what the solution is because the Warning shouldn't cause a white page. It should just be glossed over and the page should continue. We'll need access to the server through a Support Contract and ticket.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• iPenguin02
              • May 2013
              • 4.0.x

You shouldn't have to change either the charset or ini_file values. Neither of those would resolve the warning. I don't know what the solution is because the Warning shouldn't cause a white page. It should just be glossed over and the page should continue. We'll need access to the server through a Support Contract and ticket.
              So i think it has to do with SQL. I decided to use fresh files and edit the config.php little by little while refreshing the install page. I setup everything except the database name and user, i get a database error, but when i plug in SQL information it goes blank.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Php 7.1?

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• iPenguin02
                  iPenguin02 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no using 5.6. I tried it with 7.1 as well.
              • iPenguin02
                • May 2013
                • 4.0.x

Php 7.1?
                no using 5.6. I tried it with 7.1 as well.

i also see this
                PHP Code:
                  [13-Jun-2018 00:39:52 UTCPHP Parse error:  syntax errorunexpected '*' in /Forums/includes/functions.php on line 1576 
                Last edited by iPenguin02; Tue 12 Jun '18, 4:44pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Well that is an error and will result in a blank page. Are you sure you're using PHP 5.6? How are you setting the PHP version?

If you upload a file with the following code what version does it return:
                  Code:
                  <?php
                  phpinfo();
                  ?>
                  The line in question will error out in versions before 5.6.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• iPenguin02
                    • May 2013
                    • 4.0.x

Well that is an error and will result in a blank page. Are you sure you're using PHP 5.6? How are you setting the PHP version?

If you upload a file with the following code what version does it return:
                    Code:
                    <?php
                    phpinfo();
                    ?>
                    The line in question will error out in versions before 5.6.
                    I figured it out. There was a .htaccess file that was causing an issue. I deleted it, worked like a charm.

Comment