X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therother
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.8.x

Failing upgrade from 4.2.4 to 4.2.5

As part of our GDPR prep, I'm upgrading vB to the last version, v4.2.5. We are currently running v4.2.4.

However, the web and command line upgrader both fail. The latter just quits without an error. The former gives this message when going from vBulletin v4.2.5 Beta 1 to vBulletin v4.2.5 Beta 2:
    Code:
    Unexpected Text:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
    <error><![CDATA[Could not find phrase 'required_field_x_missing_or_invalid'.]]></error>
    I've narrowed the issue down to step 14: "Update Picture Comments IP Data". If I remove this step, the upgrade process proceeds but fails later (probably because of me hacking away at the upgrade script).

We are running Apache v2.4.1 with PHP 5.6 and MySQL Version 5.7.
  • nab1x9
    • Mar 2013
    • 4.2.x

This sounds familiar

Comment

• therother
      • Oct 2006
      • 3.8.x

I did find a few similar issues in the forums but nothing that matched this particular issue.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Does the ipdata table exist in the database?

Did you skip the upgrade steps to 4.2.3?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• therother
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.8.x

Yes.

And I don't believe we've ever skipped any upgrade steps: the last trouble I recall was due to the Blogs being deactivated (they are now active).

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Can you run this query and post the results here:

show create table ipdata;

If you have a table_prefix specified in your config.php you will need to add it before ipdata

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• therother
              • Oct 2006
              • 3.8.x

Code:
              mysql> show create table nvb3_ipdata;
              +-------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
              | Table       | Create Table                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    |
              +-------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
              | nvb3_ipdata | CREATE TABLE `nvb3_ipdata` (
                `ipid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
                `contenttypeid` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
                `contentid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
                `userid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
                `rectype` enum('content','read','view','visit','register','logon','logoff','other') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'other',
                `dateline` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
                `ip` varchar(40) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0.0.0',
                `altip` varchar(40) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0.0.0',
                PRIMARY KEY (`contenttypeid`,`contentid`,`userid`,`rectype`),
                UNIQUE KEY `ipid` (`ipid`),
                KEY `usertype` (`userid`,`contenttypeid`),
                KEY `dateline` (`dateline`)
              ) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=2811698 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 |
              1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

That is the correct table format.

If you place the system in Debug mode, does the error provide more information? Do you get an email to the technical contact listed in your /includes/config.php?

To put vBulletin 4 into debug mode place the following line at the top of your /includes/config.php file under the line with <?php

$config['Misc']['debug'] = true;

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• therother
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Added the line: error message the same on upgrading. No email appears to have been sent to the technical contact.

Comment

• therother
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3.8.x

I ran the first query manually to inspect the resulting rows for anything odd and I believe I've found the problem in the picturecomment table:

Code:
                    mysql> SELECT * FROM `nvb3_picturecomment` WHERE `commentid` = '0';
                    +-----------+------------+--------------+------------+---------+-------+----------------------------+-----------+-------------+----------------+-------------+------------+--------+---------------------+-----------------+--------------------+
                    | commentid | postuserid | postusername | dateline | state | title | pagetext | ipaddress | allowsmilie | reportthreadid | messageread | filedataid | userid | sourcecontenttypeid | sourcecontentid | sourceattachmentid |
                    +-----------+------------+--------------+------------+---------+-------+----------------------------+-----------+-------------+----------------+-------------+------------+--------+---------------------+-----------------+--------------------+
                    | 0 | 0 | ***** | 1242274673 | visible | | ***** | 0 | 0 | 0 | 42284 | 114102 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
                    1 row in set (0.00 sec)
                    I've replaced potentially sensitive data with *****. If I alter the commentid to 1000000, the postuserid to match the user and ipaddress to something sensible, the upgrade proceeds normally. I'm I ok to make these changes to our live board, ie will there be any issue with me doing this, particular wrt making up a commentid?

Edit: this odd comment appears to be a duplicate of another one

Code:
                    +-----------+------------+--------------+------------+---------+-------+----------------------------+------------+-------------+----------------+-------------+------------+--------+---------------------+-----------------+--------------------+
                    | commentid | postuserid | postusername | dateline   | state   | title | pagetext                   | ipaddress  | allowsmilie | reportthreadid | messageread | filedataid | userid | sourcecontenttypeid | sourcecontentid | sourceattachmentid |
                    +-----------+------------+--------------+------------+---------+-------+----------------------------+------------+-------------+----------------+-------------+------------+--------+---------------------+-----------------+--------------------+
                    |       662 |      29496 | *****      | 1242274673 | visible |       | ***** |    ***** |           1 |              0 |           1 |          0 |      0 |                   0 |               0 |                  0 |
                    |         0 |      0 | *****      | 1242274673 | visible |       | ***** | 0 |           0 |              0 |       42284 |     114102 |      1 |                   0 |               0 |                  0 |
                    2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
                    I'm wondering if I can just remove this entry, or merge them?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Comments with a comment id of 0 are invalid and can be deleted from the database.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• therother
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Great, thanks.

Comment