X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IggyP
    • Mar 2012

help restoring a db over clean files

hello,

i am trying to make a shorter route out of an upgrade job im helping with from vb3 to vb4....but i am worried to make things more problematic if i do it wrong so trying to research of it...

i am wondering that if i upgrade the vb3 to vb4.....then install a default vb4....then restore the live db to the default files....what "custom" files and locations would i need to grab from the live site?

i know where attachments are, but what else and where would need to be included? im sure avatar and album stuff somewhere.....likely misc profile data or???

there are alot of old vb3 products it would take a while to cleanup but if i dont know exactly what to do i will be inclined to make a harder job of it :/

thanks
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

There are no shortcuts to upgrading, so not really sure what you are asking.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• IggyP
      • Mar 2012

well, the "shortcut" would be not having to manually cleanup all the remnant files from dozens of vb3 products....this is actually georges idea, but he tried using imp/ex which made a mismatch in user id# in db and several issues...so then to restore it onto clean vb4 files seems the next logical move...

in my approach, the vb3 products would be "uninstalled" while still on vb3, as well as the uninstallers have been written...to clean the db....then the rest of this would clean the file system faster, easier, and more thoroughly...

i know there are custom directories i saw when i looked again that clearly need to move over, but is there any reason not to do this? or other custom directories that would need to be moved over after upgrading the DB to vb4?

make sense?

Comment

• IggyP
        • Mar 2012

ok im about to do this....if anyone can share a knowledge to make it a cleaner and easier job i will be very happy...

just imagine a cluttered up old vb3, pretty good sized forum....files just everywhere....total mess...

i want to upgrade it to vb4(after uninstalling the vb3 products), then only move the relevant files over to a cleaner file set....

i can restore the live DB to the default files, but then what other live files must also move over to fit with that DB?
        it seems it should be a simple question or at least if there is a big problem i would face with an approach like this?

thank you

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You're making it more complicated and don't even realize it.
          1. Create a new folder.
          2. Put vBulletin 4.X files in it.
          3. Move attachments and user images to this folder.
          4. Run vBulletin 4.X folder upgrade.
          5. Delete vBulletin 3.X folder.
          6. Rename vBulletin 4.X folder to your forum path.
          The only thing you should do to the database is to create a backup before upgrading.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

Personally I would suggest for step 5 you just rename the vBulletin 3.X folder to something obscure for now, dont delete it until you are certain you dont need anything from it.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• IggyP
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              You're making it more complicated and don't even realize it.
              1. Create a new folder.
              2. Put vBulletin 4.X files in it.
              3. Move attachments and user images to this folder.
              4. Run vBulletin 4.X folder upgrade.
              5. Delete vBulletin 3.X folder.
              6. Rename vBulletin 4.X folder to your forum path.
              The only thing you should do to the database is to create a backup before upgrading.
              hmm, im not sure i am following you....so # 3 you are saying the only files that would be needed are attachments and custom user images...that is good to know its one things i was unsure of..

but step 4? run "folder upgrade"? that lost me.....i assume you do not mean upgrading the vb3 as there would be no "vb3 folder" to delete if so.. but in the new folder it would already contain latest vb4 correct?

i am picturing it like this if it helps in bullet format:
              1. install a default vb4 to a clean directory
              2. run uninstall scripts for the vb3 addons to be left behind on live site(after backup of course)
              3. upgrade live site to vb4
              4. move attachments and user image files to the clean installation
              5. make an sql backup of the live upgraded vb4 and restore it onto the default(+ added image files from old live site)
              6. it will be going one server to another too so no worry about directory names and all that i can easily sort while working by having them on the same domain but different ip
              so that should be fine am i right?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

I mean run the upgrade scripts in the vB4 folder. The upgrade updates the database. The database isn't going to be stored in the same folder as your files.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IggyP
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  I mean run the upgrade scripts in the vB4 folder. The upgrade updates the database. The database isn't going to be stored in the same folder as your files.
                  so....restore the vb3 database with uninstalled products, to the vb4 files and just upgrade there instead....that what u mean? sounds like the same difference except running the upgrade on the live version then porting to the clean vb4 files my way, rather than porting to clean files then upgrading your way....thats the same thing isnt it?

thanks for the feedback doing this soon for a project that started almost a year and a half ago, just want be sure last live bit goes smooth and not more work or problems than it has to be

Comment

• IggyP
                    • Mar 2012

hmm...a side question....what is the deal about going straight from pre vb3.8 to vb4.....i have done it directly before, but also read its better to go to vb3.8.11 first manually...

i am doing some extra things just to be certain its the best job i can...but then i wonder why or which ones actually matter haha...

so........wayne after thinking more your way is better i can see now.....for php version issue alone which will need to be at 5.5......well if i need to go to vb3.8.11 first, would be 5.6, then back to php5.5 and vb4.2.4 for custom import work, then finally to 7.1 and vb 4.2.5....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

You would only need to upgrade to 3.8.11 if the upgrade fails between your current version of 3.8.X and vBulletin 4.2.5.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...