X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • concretin
    • Jun 2017
    • 4.2.x

Error on install 4.2.5 ....../includes/functions.php on line 1576

Hi everyone. I have installed VB years ago, but upon trying the last few days I get this error: Parse error: syntax error,......../includes/functions.php on line 1576

From what I have found it was almost always due to using the wrong PHP or MySQLl version, but my versions are newer than the other instances I have found on here.
    Apache Version 2.4.25
    PHP Version 5.6.30
    MySQL Version 10.0.31-MariaDB
    I've tried reuploading and no change. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
  • MarkFL
    • Jul 2016
    • 4.2.x

Is there any more information provided about the syntax error?

Line 1576 is:

PHP Code:
    if (intval($profilefield_value) & (2**$key)) 
    It contains the "**" exponentiation arithmetic operator, introduced in PHP 5.6, and this is the only thing I can see that could be an issue if your PHP version is lower than what you are indicating.

Comment

• concretin
      • Jun 2017
      • 4.2.x

I will perform another upload and install and look more closely. Are you suggesting that my version listed may be inaccurate?

Comment

• MarkFL
        • Jul 2016
        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by concretin
        I will perform another upload and install and look more closely. Are you suggesting that my version listed may be inaccurate?
        Well, that's the only potential issue I see looking at that referenced line of code. I would check with your host to verify the version of PHP being used.

Comment

• concretin
          • Jun 2017
          • 4.2.x

Here is the full line of the error. I am waiting to get confirmation on my version of php. Thanks for the help so far!

Parse error
          : syntax error, unexpected '*' in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/concreteforum2/includes/functions.php on line 1576

Comment

• MarkFL
            • Jul 2016
            • 4.2.x

Here is the full line of the error. I am waiting to get confirmation on my version of php. Thanks for the help so far!

Parse error
            : syntax error, unexpected '*' in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/concreteforum2/includes/functions.php on line 1576
            That only fortifies my suspicion that your PHP version is not sufficient. What does your host say about the PHP version being used on your site?

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

As Mark suggests, that error means your PHP version is < 5.6, you need to be using at least php 5.6
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• concretin
                • Jun 2017
                • 4.2.x

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I pulled those versions from my CPanel page and assumed they were accurate. Apparently they were not. Installation started no problem now. Why would my CPanel tell me I am running a different version than I actually am? I asked my hosting company and they just avoided answering the question.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I pulled those versions from my CPanel page and assumed they were accurate. Apparently they were not. Installation started no problem now. Why would my CPanel tell me I am running a different version than I actually am? I asked my hosting company and they just avoided answering the question.
                  The most accurate place to see what version of PHP being used by vBulletin is to view the PHP Info under Maintenance in the AdminCP.

Every single directory on a server can have its own version of PHP. cPanel only reports what it thinks is installed for everyone. You probably have your PHP overridden in either the vBulletin directory or one of its parents. This is typically done with .htaccess. You would have to remove this overwrite.

If you need help configuring PHP on your server, you should contact your hosting provider.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• XGC Viper XI
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 5.5.x

I just had this issue with my upgrade to vBulletin 4.2.5 with that exact same error. I changed the PHP to 5.6 and it resolved the issue. But everyone has missed the point on this or vBulletin has failed to update the documentation. Because according to the vBulletin Manual for 4.2.5, the requirements are as follows:

Minimum Requirements
                    vBulletin is a web-based application and as such has a few minimum requirements. To run vBulletin, you need a web hosting provider that includes the following things:
                    • PHP version 5.2.0 or greater - For PHP 5.4 or higher, you must use vBulletin 4.2.3 or higher.
                    • MySQL version 4.1.0 or greater
                    • A pre-registered domain name
                    • 200 Megabytes of hard drive space
                    Therefore, this should run on 5.4 yet the error exist. So, is all the code require version 5.6 and the manual is wrong or is that one file truly a coded error that needs fixed?

What is the verdict?

Thanks,

Viper

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

4.2.5 requires php 5.6 as a minimum version.
                      The manual is functionally obsolete, the up to date minimum requirements are displayed on the download page in the members area.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        Wayne Luke commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Manual has been updated to properly reflect minimum required versions.
                    • stingray27
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3.6.x

and listed in the FAQ.
                      This is my signature.

Comment