Trying to install vb 4.2.3 Patch Level 2 -- Keep getting 500 Internal Server Error

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walt Gekko
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

Trying to install vb 4.2.3 Patch Level 2 -- Keep getting 500 Internal Server Error

The title basically describes the issue I'm having.

After having password issues with vb 4.2.2, since the forum had nothing on it I decided to delete and install 4.2.3 Patch Level 2. Only problem is, even working on the config file and upgrading to the necessary PHP and MySQL levels, I'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error that won't let me get to the installation page. Is there anything specific I need to fix?

Thanks!
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

We need to know what the actual,error is....this should be in your server logs.

At a guess though...what are you using to edit the config file? Don't use Windows Notepad...you need to use a proper text editor, such as Notepad++
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Walt Gekko
      • Jan 2011
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
      We need to know what the actual,error is....this should be in your server logs.

At a guess though...what are you using to edit the config file? Don't use Windows Notepad...you need to use a proper text editor, such as Notepad++
      I've been using WordPad as I have always have in my case. I followed the same procedures otherwise in WordPad I've used in past installs and I still get the error.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Walt Gekko

I've been using WordPad as I have always have in my case. I followed the same procedures otherwise in WordPad I've used in past installs and I still get the error.
        Please don't use Wordpad. It is not a suitable php text editor. This is the cause of your issue, it adds invisible characters to the file.

Please download Notepad++ as mentioned, and the recreate your config.php file from scratch using a fresh blank copy.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Also, as Mark says in his first reply, we need the actual error message from your error logs...
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Walt Gekko
            • Jan 2011
            • 4.1.x

Mark and Trevor:

This is the first chance in two weeks I've had to get to this as I was busy with other things.

I downloaded notepad++ and used that and still was getting the 500 Error noted. Somehow, I can't get at the error code that is causing this.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

If you can't see the error message in your logs for the time of the error, you'll need to speak to your host for them to get that message for you.
              Vote for:

Comment

• Walt Gekko
                • Jan 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                If you can't see the error message in your logs for the time of the error, you'll need to speak to your host for them to get that message for you.
                I'm not seeing error messages at all. I finally had a chance to get to my web host (due to excessive phone wait times when I tried to previously) and they have tried to work on it, and they specifically said there was "no input file specified." They tried to run the install script, and that's what came up, apparently it was looking for something that was not in place.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

When you say you used notepad++, did you create a new config file from scratch?

Using notepad++ will,not fix a file that has already been edited in Wordpad. You need to make a completely new file from scratch.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------

Comment

• Walt Gekko
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                    When you say you used notepad++, did you create a new config file from scratch?

Using notepad++ will,not fix a file that has already been edited in Wordpad. You need to make a completely new file from scratch.
                    Yes, I tried that.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Your hosts need to provide the error out of the server logs.

There is no point them trying to "work on it", very few hosts have the slightest clue about how vBulletin works, and they generally mess things up when trying to troubleshoot why the upgrade script won't run on their servers.

Ultimately, there is no bug that would cause this, you're getting a server error, the hosts need to tell you what it is.If they won't - you need a new host.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• Walt Gekko
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 4.1.x

Finally had my first chance in a month to work on this, I finally was able to fix the noted issue, but then got these errors after I entered my customer ID:
                        • The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the includes/config.php file
                          • Error description: mysql_connect(): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. D:\Hosting\3962838\html\forums\includes\class_core.php on line 317

I used both mysql and mysqli on this one and there was no difference.

​​​​​​After that, I changed false to True and got this:
                          • The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the includes/config.php file
                          • Error description: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. D:\Hosting\3962838\html\forums\includes\class_core.php on line 1359

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Aug 2002
                          • 5.7.X

"The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server."

That's your key - make sure the database user you've specified in the config files exists and has full permissions for the database you want to use. Also make sure that the password is correct.
                          Vote for:

Comment

• Walt Gekko
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                            "The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server."

That's your key - make sure the database user you've specified in the config files exists and has full permissions for the database you want to use. Also make sure that the password is correct.
                            Did all that and made further adjustments (didn't have time to work on this for a while) and got the following:

Due to the following errors, the install/upgrade can not continue:
                            • Error description: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user '************'@'**.**.**.***' (using password: YES) D:\Hosting\3962838\html\forums\includes\class_core.php on line 1359
                            (Note: Username and IP replaced by asterisks for obvious reasons).

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

It remains the same issue. The software cannot connect to the database.

You need to verify the database name, database username, database password, and database server address in the config.php file.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment