X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Levi
    • Aug 2007

Attach an existing database to new installation files

Hi

Is it possible to attach an existing vbulletin database with a clean installation files? I want to clean all the files of vbulletin with a new clean installation but attaching after the existing database that used my older files. Copying all the files including in the /upload folder of the installation package and setting the config.php to attach the database is enough?

Thank you in advanced.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Yes that should work as long as the versions match exactly.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Levi
      • Aug 2007

What would happen with the plugins installed in the existing database? Because with the clean installation, there won't be any plugins installed and in the database there will be references to these plugins.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Well plugins are in the database, so they will still be there.

Unless you've altered any files there shouldn't be any issues.

Some add-ons come with their own completely separate files as well as the plugins themselves, in these cases you'll need to keep those files present on the server in the correct location.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• Levi
          • Aug 2007

So if I upload all the files from a clean package installation of vbulletin, there won't be any files that reference to that plugins, so that plugins won't appear in the forum. Right?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Levi
            So if I upload all the files from a clean package installation of vbulletin, there won't be any files that reference to that plugins, so that plugins won't appear in the forum. Right?
            Incorrect. Plugin code is stored in the Database and will still be active once you connect to that database with your /includes/config.php file.

Please use the config file to disable the plugin system.

To do this, edit your vBulletin config.php file currently on the server by adding the following line after the <?php line:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then reupload the config.php file into your forum's includes folder.

Afterward, go to the ACP -> Plugins & Products and under both 'Manage Products' and 'Plugin Manager' disable all non-vB products and plugins.

Make sure to go to both the 'Manage Products' and 'Plugin Manager' locations.

Then remove that line from the config file.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Levi
              Well it's not quite as simple as that.

If the files are ther now, then unless you completely empty the forum folder (which isn't a good idea) they will still be there when you have uploaded a new set of vBulletin files.

And if you delete them, then any plugins in the database that use those files will fail and return errors because their associated files will be missing.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve here. What you're proposing is not going to achieve what I suspect you think it will.

If you want to remove plugins, you need to follow the individual uninstall action instructions that come with the addon. There is no magic button that will remove all plugins and all of their associated data cleanly. Putting up new vBulletin files merely replaces the files....it does absolutely nothing else, it will not clean up the database or the installation.

Really, we need more information on what the problem is you're trying to solve, before we can give any real advice. What actual issues are you experiencing on your site?
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• Levi
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Mark.B

Well it's not quite as simple as that.

If the files are ther now, then unless you completely empty the forum folder (which isn't a good idea) they will still be there when you have uploaded a new set of vBulletin files.

And if you delete them, then any plugins in the database that use those files will fail and return errors because their associated files will be missing.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve here. What you're proposing is not going to achieve what I suspect you think it will.

If you want to remove plugins, you need to follow the individual uninstall action instructions that come with the addon. There is no magic button that will remove all plugins and all of their associated data cleanly. Putting up new vBulletin files merely replaces the files....it does absolutely nothing else, it will not clean up the database or the installation.

Really, we need more information on what the problem is you're trying to solve, before we can give any real advice. What actual issues are you experiencing on your site?
                What I want to do is to reupload forum files from a vbulletin installation package because my forum has been hacked by uploading some strange files to the file system of the forum. So what I want is to clean that installation by uploading all files again with the last version of the vbulletin installation package. But I don't know if I can do this in that way and if so, what would happen with the plugins installed previously if I upload new files from the vbulletin installation package.

Comment

• forenzsick
                  • Jun 2007

"So what I want is to clean that installation by uploading all files again with the last version of the vbulletin installation package"
                  not sure where the breech occurred but consider a security patch if your going to have to upload the files anyway.

regardless i have done what you want to do because i screwed stuff up, it will work and the plug ins will be there. if your host has updated php or some other variable i can't think of you may need a minor adjustment- i doubt it - you identified the most important file that will need editing especially if you have now tightened up and changed your Db password. good luck

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...