4.2.1 to 4.2.3 - do I upgrade PHP before or after?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricster
    • Mar 2005

4.2.1 to 4.2.3 - do I upgrade PHP before or after?

I'm planning to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.3 however I'm currently using PHP 4. My host offers PHP 5.5 or 5.6. I'm not sure of the sequence of events here. Do I upgrade VB first and then PHP...or is it the other way around? Thanks for your help.
  • forenzsick
    • Jun 2007

whatever the php requirement is you fufill it prior to upgrading or the upgrade script will error out due to php not being compatible.

That being said, my host decided to do that for me today- get in my host control panel and change it from 5.3 to 5.4
    that caused database errors automatically and the site went down, i changed it back because i feel i need to edit some VB files that may be set to 5.3...........config.php, int.php?...and make them reflect the php version 5.4 for it to work.
    any idea of which files have to be edited/ changed to reflect the version of php im using? i found a few but im having a hard time believing i have edit a bunch of files when the code in general is written so many scripts can take advantage of a single variable......any help would be appreciated and ill continue to search
    thanks

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

You should not be editing any php files.

If if the server is running php 5.4 then you need to be running vBulletin 4.2.2 as a minimum. 4.2.4 Beta as a preference.

For upgrades, upgrade php first, then upgrade vBulletin immediately afterwards.

Make full backups of the database and files before any upgrade.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• forenzsick
        • Jun 2007

perfect and ty!!! that started to become apparent the more i read.......if you were on 4.2.o would you d/l 4.22 complete package, run the upgrade script and call it a day? when i do this i guess the file with all my Db info is left untact so i guess i simply needed to select php5.4 and do the upgrade. if im off track let me know i certainly appreciate you since you were in most of the posts i read

i do realize there is more upgrading available but it's baby steps for me as my host is a goof.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...