X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoHighVoltage
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.2.x

[Suite] New Install - Myisam tables

I just did a brand new install of VB4, and I noticed all the database tables created are all myisam. Normal? Yes innodb is turned on.

I know some say you can convert to innodb, but that would be a long and tedious task (each table at a time)

Is there a reason why new installs still use myisam? Is there any issues leaving it as myisam?

• Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by GoHighVoltage
    I just did a brand new install of VB4, and I noticed all the database tables created are all myisam. Normal? Yes innodb is turned on.

I know some say you can convert to innodb, but that would be a long and tedious task (each table at a time)

Is there a reason why new installs still use myisam? Is there any issues leaving it as myisam?

You should leave things as they are, it will work fine.
    vB4 is not under active development and hasn't been for some time so there will not be any change to this.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.2.x

Hi Mark, appreciate your response. I realize VB4 is not under active development, but I would hope VB does keep it in development. I have several VB licenses, my latest was for VB5 but I choose to still use VB4 because I just find it better than VB5. I am sure many others would agree or disagree, but its my personal preference.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

vBulletin 4..X will use the default table storage engine for your database. To install with InnoDB, you must specify it as the default storage engine in MySQL's configuration settings. There will still be some MyISAM tables. The tables with Fulltext search will be MyISAM as InnoDB did not support Fulltext search when they were added to the system.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7...e-setting.html
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
          • Dec 2010
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 4..X will use the default table storage engine for your database. To install with InnoDB, you must specify it as the default storage engine in MySQL's configuration settings. There will still be some MyISAM tables. The tables with Fulltext search will be MyISAM as InnoDB did not support Fulltext search when they were added to the system.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7...e-setting.html

Thank you Wayne, I appreciate you! Oddly, I did have my default storage engine as innodb when I reinstalled it multiple times. Always was 100% myisam each time. So finally I just left it 100% myisam and moved on to getting the new forum up and running.

Other than innodb having recovery advantages, Myisam still works just fine for VB correct?

Appreciate you guys! Thank you!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

We don't take advantage of any InnoDB specific functionality in vBulletin 4. We use transactions in vBulletin 5 but the installer is more specific.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
              • Dec 2010
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              We don't take advantage of any InnoDB specific functionality in vBulletin 4. We use transactions in vBulletin 5 but the installer is more specific.

Thanks Wayne! Appreciate you!

Comment