X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sylv1
    • Jul 2013

Impex import : how works support?

hello

I acquired an additional forum in phpbb2 which i would like to migrate to VB5 (I have to go through a vb4 step).

I have exactly this issue... unfortunatly there is not the answer !

any idea?

thanks for help
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

There is no longer any official support for IMPEX. The product was discontinued and open sourced some time ago.

However, if you can tell us the actual error from the server logs, we might be able to point you in the right direction. Three year old threads with someone else's issue don't really help.

Also,make sure you are using this version of IMPEX:
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Sylv1
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Mark.B
      There is no longer any official support for IMPEX. The product was discontinued and open sourced some time ago.

However, if you can tell us the actual error from the server logs, we might be able to point you in the right direction. Three year old threads with someone else's issue don't really help.

Also,make sure you are using this version of IMPEX:
      https://github.com/vBZachery/vbimpex
      thank you very much Mark !

yes I used the downloadZip from this screen last week.

is there a way to set impex in debug mode to have logs or explicit messages?

the symptom & description is exactly the one of MarcusT in the link; I tried to reduce the number of objects to be processed in a loop & to "push" value of all variable in MySQL, php ini files.

For 6400 users, it is OK (after making sure every user has a declared email - it is obviously mandatory). I had to go to MySQL 4 (in mySQL5, SQL syntax was wrong)
      Forum is ok.
      Thread ok despite i miss 5 among ~8500... I have to see is something strange in those data

For posts, pm, poll, the problem is connection is lost in impex (vbulletin itself continue working)... and i didn't find a way to continue import & not to restart from scratch.

i have ~545000 posts to import & I process around 3240 before loosing the connection.

some tuning in MySQL? php env?

Comment

• Sylv1
        • Jul 2013

hello

I found in impex documentation http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=40202604
        skipparentids The last set of updating post is setting the parent id's for the imported posts if they don't have one. This can be (and usually is) very intensive due to the amount of SQL used. The number of queries run is the number of threads times two, plus one. Though this is very effected by the number of posts as usually the post table has to be scanned (MySQL intensive).

Sometimes due to the load on larger boards the final page of the import posts can time out, setting this define to true will skip that all together. The load and bottle neck here is a know issue and being looked at.

I think I am exactly there...

but setting to true does not change anything

i have 541425 posts to migrate

Am I stuck with impex or is there a chance ? how?

thanks for help

Comment

• Sylv1
          • Jul 2013

Any idea or experience?

Comment

• Sylv1
            • Jul 2013

I tried another path...

Phpbb2 to phpbb3 to vb4

Migration to phpbb3 deals with a source and a target database... And faces the same problem when migrating post table (after 100000posts)

So it is environment related and not impeccable by itself
            I pushed all the timeout*, max* i found

But that is the same...

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

What exactly is the problem you're getting when you're running the import, what happens?

Comment

• Sylv1
                • Jul 2013

hello Zachery

A friend of mine has built a robust environment with mySQL4 etc... it goes through and does not freeze like my wamp server. Probably something to do with memory as explained in documentation.

MySQL4 seems to be mandatory for phpbb2 connector. Can you confirm?

Now, I test the resulting VB4.2.2 :

in the database, as an administrator member, i cannot see the forums neither in standard interface nor in admincp despite DB tables looks there.

when I go in standard interface, community / member list does not return anything... despite users table is full.

It looks as if migrated content was not "linked" in root of the system.

migration was with define('skipparentids', true); as I understood it would make easier for migration of big board.

I will go through a second loop of migration with standard values in impex_config.php
                Last edited by Sylv1; Thu 27 Aug '15, 11:18am.

Comment

• Sylv1
                  • Jul 2013

in http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=40202604 , this line is the killing one
                  Forum cache

To rebuild the forum cache so your imported forums appear, go to your forum manager and save the display.
                  After that, I see my forums & categories !

At the moment, community / member list does not return anything

I am going to launch all maintenance tools now

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...