X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msmayz
    • May 2014
    • 4.2.X

'Database Error' when trying to upgrade to 4.2.3

I upgraded my forum from 4.2.2 to 4.2.3 but then encountered the PHP error so many others have been seeing. I was on PHP 5.3.29 but called my host and got upgraded to PHP 5.5. Then, I reinstalled all of the files from the vBulletin 4.2.3 update and went to restart the upgrade process, but am now seeing this message:

Database error in vBulletin :

mysqli_real_connect(): The server requested authentication method unknown to the client [mysql_old_password]
    /filepath/mydomain/includes/class_core.php on line 1359
    What should I do? I haven't changed the password to MySQL so I'm not sure what's going on.
    Last edited by msmayz; Tue 7 Jul '15, 2:10pm.
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

In the config.php, try changing $config['Database']['dbtype'] to 'mysqli'.

Comment

• msmayz
      • May 2014
      • 4.2.X

Thanks, kh99. This is in /includes/config.php.new, right? Do I need to remove the .new extension first?

Comment

• kh99
        • Aug 2009

You should already have a file named includes/config.php, without the .new.
        Last edited by kh99; Tue 7 Jul '15, 9:19pm.

Comment

• msmayz
          • May 2014
          • 4.2.X

Gotcha. I went into config.php and changed that line from 'mysql' to 'mysqli'. Unfortunately, that didn't quite work. Still getting the same error message when I try to restart the upgrade process.

Comment

• kh99
            • Aug 2009

Oh, now that I look more closely I see that the error message you posted says that you were already using mysqli. Sorry about that.

Anyway, if you google the error message you can find some info on it. It's apparently a mismatch between the mysql libraries that php is using, and the mysql server. The solution seems to be a mysql setting that allows the old passwords to work. You should probably contact your host and ask them about it. (Or maybe the vb support staff will have an answer).

Edit: here's one of the pages I found about that error: http://forumsarchive.laravel.io/viewtopic.php?id=8667

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

You need to have your hosting provider update your password or switch back to mysql in the config.php file. Please note that the mysql library has been deprecated and will not be supported by The PHP Group past PHP 5.6. Also note that the mysql library does not support the newer password hashing scheme implemented in MySQL 4.1. The mysqli library doesn't support the password hashing scheme from before MySQL 4.1.

Please see: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/old-client.html
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• msmayz
                • May 2014
                • 4.2.X

Yeah, so my host was never able to get this error resolved, even with all the solutions you guys recommended / linked to. We eventually had to restore the forum to the last backup, and so it looks like we won't be upgrading to 4.2.3.

Comment