X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pirate45
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.5.x

[Forum] Upgrading 3.7 beta 3 to 4.2

I am considering upgrading a forum from 3.7 beta to the latest 4.2 version.

How hard will this be to do versus regular upgrades?
  • Amaury
    • Mar 2012
    • 4.2.X

If you don't have a lot of modifications, I wouldn't think it'd be incredibly difficult.
    Former vBulletin user

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

We suggest upgrading to 3.8.7 first, do a quick check everything works, make another backup, and then do the upgrade to 4.2.0 from there, but there shouldn't be any major issues beyond the normal-

Most 3rd party plugins will need to be removed or disabled (disable ALL for the upgrade)
      No custom styles will work after the upgrade

ALWAYS backup before attempting any upgrade.

Comment

• borbole
        • Feb 2010

Indeed, as long as you do a full backup of the db and everything else you will be fine.

Personally I would suggest to first make a duplicate of your live forum to a test forum and then upgrade the test forum first to test the waters so to speak. That will give you an idea as how the upgrade process will go for later when you upgrade the main forum.

Comment

• port80
          • Nov 2006
          • 4.2.X

Issues / troubles also depends on type of hosting you have. New version may not work or could be very slow on same exiting hosting server.

-get backup of DB and files.
          -get 2nd backup of DB. Normally I get 1st via admincp, and 2nd from any MySQL client tool.

now go for upgrade....
          Get Smart...
          www.AutomationMedia.com

Comment

• steve340
            • Feb 2012
            • 4.1.x

I just did it, its a PITA First upgrade the Mysql and the PHP on your server. I did not upgrade the mysql on yahoo web server, now I cannot install OR use phpmyadmin. Boards working, WELL worth the cost, its beautiful. But make sure the PHP and MYSQL are upgraded first, and absolutely do the 3.87 or whatever first.

S

Comment