Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocketpig
    • Jun 2012

[Suite] vBulletin 4.2.x install problem on MAMP

Like the thread title says, I'm having problems getting a test version of vBulletin running on MAMP. I have the ports set correctly (3306 in both vB and MAMP), the user/pw are correct (root/blank), the database name is consistent (vbulletin), and I still get this error:

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the
    includes/config.php
    file

Error description: mysql_connect()
    function.mysql-connect
    : Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    /Users
    /rocketpig
    /Documents
    /WebServer
    /includes
    /class_core.php on line 317

We have a live version of the site running and I'm taking over tech duties for it. I wanted a clean local install of vB on my machine to explore the interface.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is it possible that I created the database using the wrong format? I used the typical "Collation" "utf8_general_ci" settings.

I'm at a loss here. Getting a little frustrated over it.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Well, the error says Access Denied. So, it sounds like you didn't grant your "root" mysql user full permissions to your database.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rocketpig
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Lynne
      Well, the error says Access Denied. So, it sounds like you didn't grant your "root" mysql user full permissions to your database.
      It's the default user and the only user in MySQL. I even did a re-install of MAMP to make sure all the settings were clear in case I changed something way back when and forgot about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I figured it out. A process was running that was buggering up the MySQL server. Sigh... It's always the little obscure things that take the most time to troubleshoot.

Comment