Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Streetgliderx
    • Jun 2010

[Forum] needing help with test site

i am going thru the motions of creating a test site and the article has changed some since i last done it. it now has a section at the top for updating URLs, does this want me to turn off my site change the URLs to the test site and then backup? this is confusing stuff for a greenhorn like me.

i need a redneck how to manual! or VB for dummies?

Thanks guys.
  • borbole
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Streetgliderx
    i am going thru the motions of creating a test site and the article has changed some since i last done it. it now has a section at the top for updating URLs, does this want me to turn off my site change the URLs to the test site and then backup? this is confusing stuff for a greenhorn like me.

i need a redneck how to manual! or VB for dummies?

Thanks guys.
    The easiest way would be to create a subdomain in your server space or create a new folder. Create a new database and then upload all your forum files to your pc and then reupload them at the subdmain and/or the new folder that you created. Then make a backup of your database and restore it to the new database that you created and then at the config.php file of your test installation, edit the db details to match those of the new db that you created. Like this you have created a duplication of your live forum to a test installation. You can refresh it with a backup of your live forum 's database say 3 times a week. Like that you will know that the backup is made properly and it is fully functional if you will need it for later on. Or if you want a simple test forum, install a new copy of vb at the test subdomain/foler always using the newly created database.

Comment