X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • racechaser
    • Nov 2010
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Error in my config file during initial upload

This may be a very basic question but I'm worried if I keep changing stuff in my config file without understanding what the error means I will be like the person on "The Price Is Right" where they put all the prices on stuff and then pull the handle and then change them all around again.

I got an error the first time and changed one of my values to my actual ip address but didn't take a pic of the error message so I may have had the same error then as I do now. Now I am recording my error messages for reference.

I got this error when I ran my install script this time.

Error description: mysqli_real_connect() [function.mysqli-real-connect]: (HY000/2003): Can't connect to MySQL server on '50.63.83.1 ' (111) /home/content/82/9258282/html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1356

It didn't have the icon boxes though if they show up when the post publishes.

Can someone please help a rookie and save me from having to bother Technical Support with a ticket so they can work on more important stuff.

Thanks
    Scott
  • racechaser
    • Nov 2010
    • 4.1.x

I also had this in the start up error list but wasn't sure if it was an error also or a description of my error

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the includes/config.php file

This is the entire error box

Startup Errors
    Due to the following errors, the install/upgrade can not continue:
    • The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the includes/config.php file
    • Error description: mysqli_real_connect() [function.mysqli-real-connect]: (HY000/2003): Can't connect to MySQL server on '50.63.83.1 ' (111) /home/content/82/9258282/html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1356

Comment

• Loco.M
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.5.x

double check your database names and connection, and make sure the user have full control
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• racechaser
        • Nov 2010
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
        double check your database names and connection, and make sure the user have full control
        So I did double check with my hosting company (Godaddy) and my values in my config file appear to be correct.

I even changed my password again to what was in my config file.

I am not sure what you mean about user having full control. Was I supposed to modify that too? I just changed the values in the config file.

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

This error:
          Code:
          [COLOR=#333333]Can't connect to MySQL server on '50.63.83.1 '[/COLOR]
          Means the mysql server name/IP is incorrect.

This error:
          Code:
          [COLOR=#333333]The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server[/COLOR]
          Means the mysql user doesn't have permission to connect to the database.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• racechaser
            • Nov 2010
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
            This error:
            Code:
            [COLOR=#333333]Can't connect to MySQL server on '50.63.83.1 '[/COLOR]
            Means the mysql server name/IP is incorrect.

This error:
            Code:
            [COLOR=#333333]The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server[/COLOR]
            Means the mysql user doesn't have permission to connect to the database.
            OK so I think the first IP error is resolved.

The second is still going on. I was on the phone with host for a hour and twenty minutes and they tested everything and looked at config file and said all was good on their end. They ran tests and were very helpful but not sold that it is not on their end still.

Is there anything you can see in the config file to help diagnose the problem? Should I just start a ticket?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

You can't use the IP address with GoDaddy. You need to go through the secureserver.net domain name they provide. If you're on Windows server, there is an issue with the GoDaddy Network configuration and vBulletin that prevents vBulletin from connecting to the MySQL Database. This is only on the Windows Servers at GoDaddy though. You would need to ask that they switch you to a Linux Server or find an alternative Windows Host.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• racechaser
                • Nov 2010
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                You can't use the IP address with GoDaddy. You need to go through the secureserver.net domain name they provide. If you're on Windows server, there is an issue with the GoDaddy Network configuration and vBulletin that prevents vBulletin from connecting to the MySQL Database. This is only on the Windows Servers at GoDaddy though. You would need to ask that they switch you to a Linux Server or find an alternative Windows Host.
                Thank you Wayne and lynn both. I am on a Linux srever.

cckfc.db.9******.hostedresource.com is another alternative that I think we tried at some point.

There is also something in my "Hosting Dashboard" that has all my info in it called an "absolute path". It looks like this
                /home/content/82/9******/html

So are either of those what you had in mind? I could not find a secureserver.net

Comment

• racechaser
                  • Nov 2010
                  • 4.1.x

So when I called back again they said I should be using the "hostedresource" one.

Thanks a bunch Wayne and Lynn!!!! I have the install button up so I'm going to go finish my install!!!!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Hostedresource is one of the many domain paths they use.

When you're in your GoDaddy Hosting Database. Click on Databases, then MySQL. It should list your databases there. There should be an icon to get information on a database. This used to be a pencil but they might have changed it. Click on that and a window will open up.

It will list server/host name, database name, and user name (always the same as the database name). Those values along with your database password are what you need to put into your config.php file.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...