Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurt@triffetdesi
    • Mar 2008

If I spent another few hours, I could probably figure this out, but VBulletin is really a coder's program and not well-designed for the novice. Witness this fiasco! You guys would have fixed this in a flash if it were your site.
    I'm a designer by trade, and although I do a lot of web, I usually work with programmers when I have clients with this kind of work. Reskinning VBulletin is also tedious.
    Since this is a hobby for a car club I manage, no budget for that. Need to try and keep to the club's best interest. I'm converting the site to Wordpress, so probably the best time to say goodbye to VBulletin and find something more user friendly. Was hoping to get some more mileage out of the money spent on this, and it worked fine for me in 4.1, but that was then and this is now...
    I'd love to simply upgrade to 4.1, but not sure if it's possible.

Comment

• donald1234
      • Oct 2011
      • 4.1.x

You can't pin this one on vbulletin this is 100% down to your web host being too lazy or too stubborn to update a core file. 4.2.2 works fine for thousands of people on thousands of different webservers.

Comment

• kurt@triffetdesi
        • Mar 2008

You know my situation - need the path of least resistance and no one is going to do it for me.
        Last edited by kurt@triffetdesi; Thu 17 Apr '14, 6:17pm.

Comment

• kurt@triffetdesi
          • Mar 2008

Finally fixed it by trashing 4.2.2 and replacing it with my old 3.8.1 contents, then running the 4.1.12 Patch Level 4 upgrade. No timezone errors with this version and forum is finally working again!

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

You could try this in 4.2.2:

In /includes/class_core.php locate lines 5683-5685
            Code:
            case E_NOTICE:
            // Just ignore these completely //
            break;

Change to this

Code:
            case E_NOTICE:
            case E_STRICT;
            case E_DEPRECATED;
            // Just ignore these completely //
            break;

The above in theory shouldn't be needed now, the skip_all_errors line should do it.
            However, with the timezone thing I have had a number of sites where I still needed to make the above file change.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• kurt@triffetdesi
              kurt@triffetdesi commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent tip, but afraid to upgrade and discover this doesn't work with my host. Is there anyway way I can see if this is working in 4.1.12 first?
              As mentioned, my host somehow has their PHP configured to ignore the skip_all_errors command.
              4.1.12 seems very stable so hard to take a chance on this fix unless I know for sure it will work.
          • BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Sorry I was late to this party but just saw the link from the other topic here.

Since you were not running PHP 5.4.x, even though you had upgraded to VB 4.2.2, you could have uploaded the VB 4.2.1 files over the VB 4.2.2 files and in this very rare case, it likely would have worked and let you back into the Admin CP and probably use the software as normal.

I would still suggest you upgrade to VB 4.2.1 when you can.

Also one other thing I didn't see suggested in this thread would be to try setting the timezone in an .htaccess file. something like-

Code:
            php_value date.timezone "America/Chicago"

Comment

• kurt@triffetdesi
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, so it's only 4.2.2 that has the timezone issue? 4.2.1 is okay? (in my case)

• BirdOPrey5
              BirdOPrey5 commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not a "timezone" issue per say. 4.2.2 was changed so all warnings are shown by default whereas in all prior VB versions they were hidden by default. These changes were made to help improve compatibility with PHP 5.4.x which was introduced in VB 4.2.2. VB 4.2.1 will work very much like 4.1.12 but still give you the benefits of the navigation manager and improvements introduced in the 4.2.x branch.

• kurt@triffetdesi
              Editing a comment
              Excellent. This last upgrade ordeal was grueling, so hopeful can tackle this with some quiet time next week. Really appreciate the help. Had I known any of this going in, never would have happened.
          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...