X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ion Saliu
    • Sep 2010
    • 4.2.X

Moving Forum to a New Web Host

Yes, I had read here plenty of complaints about the GoDaddy web hosting company. They gave me some good financial incentives — and I stayed with them for too many years! It is the convenience, first and foremost. I own a big website, with over 1000 pages. Plus, I have a paid-membership service to certain areas. Plus-plus, I have a forum.

Now, I’ve had it with GoDaddy! I will move to another web host, as time-consuming and frustrating it might be.

Forgive if my question was asked before:
    Can I simply upload the vBulletin files to the new webhost? Or – Do I have to buy a new license?

I have a backup MySQL database on my PC.

Thank you in advance.

Ion Saliu
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

If it is the same forum on the same domain but on another server you do not need another license and yes you can just download the files to your computer and upload them again to the new server.

Comment

• Ion Saliu
      • Sep 2010
      • 4.2.X

Thanks a lot, donald1234!.And, sure, thanks vBulletin for a generous policy!

That would make my life easier, as I have a pretty fresh copy of the MySQL database on my PC>

As many posters here expressed, including vBulletin technicians, GoDaddy is a bad web host.-- some said it is THE WORST. I had experienced tons of problems. At one point, I thought it was done intentionally by disgruntled low-paid techies at GoDaddy. I exposed the problems in my forum -- it is now wrongfully SUSPENDED!

Best of luck to you all, axiomatic colleagues of mine!

Ion Saliu

Comment

• Ion Saliu
        • Sep 2010
        • 4.2.X

Axiomatic Colleagues of Mine:

Moving to another web host meant DISASTER for me! I just can’t import my forum SQL database. The error message reads:

“CREATE DATABASE `information_schema` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
        MySQL said: Documentation
        #1044 - Access denied for user 'saliuforum'@'10.%' to database 'information_schema' “

Problem is, I can’t even access my admin control panel! I want to create a new database and republish some of the articles I posted in my forums. How can I do that, axiomatic ones?

Ion Saliu,
        Founder of Gambling Mathematics
        Last edited by Mark.B; Wed 26 Mar '14, 1:39am. Reason: Personal dispute removed

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

information_schema is not your vbulletin forum. That is the default mysql database that stores information about the various databases in mysql. Your forum should have been named something else.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Ion Saliu
            • Sep 2010
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Lynne
            information_schema is not your vbulletin forum. That is the default mysql database that stores information about the various databases in mysql. Your forum should have been named something else.
            Lynne:

My database was named, intuitively enough, saliuforum. I just don’t know how that information_schema came about. I was able to move another SQL database to the new host, (it was created by aMember). The thing is aMember does back up the database itself, not via phpMyAdmin.

But now I still have this question. How can I get to my vBulletin Admin CP? I want to create a new database. I mean, I want to start from scratch. But I don’t want to commit to 4.2.2… I don’t want extra headaches for now…

Many thanks.

Ion Saliu

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

If you want to install your forum from scratch, all the information you need is in here.

Comment

• Ion Saliu
                • Sep 2010
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by donald1234
                If you want to install your forum from scratch, all the information you need is in here.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install
                Thanks, but no, thanks. I got enough headaches because of Norm of qfit infamy. I lost my entire forum after I changed Web hosting. I don’t want anything extra in emotional distress. I have read enough bad rapping about v5.

Problem is, I can’t even download the latest vB4 version. When I try to download vB 4.2.2-PL1, and then try to unzip, I get a ‘NOT authorized’ type of error! What gives? I just try to reinstall vB via an upgrade (from 4.2.0).

“There is the rub” (a quotation from Hamlet, Norman!)

Ion Saliu

Comment

• QFIT
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 4.2.x

This is your second personal attack in this thread. I suggest you take responsibility for your actions instead of blaming everyone else for your problems.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

This is turning into a thread about personal disputes, which has no place on these forums.
                    Feel free to open a new thread if you are having issues with an actual vBulletin installation, but please keep any external disputes out of it.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...