X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efipaul
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.6.x

[Answered] 4.2.2 Install access denied to install/install.php

I am installing 4.2.2 fresh on a godaddy hosting plan (I know, but it's free hosting through a friend.) I uploaded all of the files to the server, but now when I go to the address, it gives me this error

"You don't have permission to access /install/install.php on this server."

I edited the config.php file beforehand, and basically followed the install instructions on the 4.2.2 instructions page.

The error log from the server shows

"
    [Wed Jan 08 07:08:05 2014] [error] [client 137.xxx.xxx.xxx] client denied by server configuration: /var/chroot/home/content/e/m/f/emf1600/html/TSL/TSL/install/install.php"

I assume I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but I don't know what. And I apologize in advance if I'm missing crucial information from this post. I've never installed Vbulletin before, so I may be missing something that to someone else is very obvious.
    Last edited by efipaul; Wed 8 Jan '14, 5:02pm.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

You have to contact their support. But GoDaddy has tons of issues.

Comment

• Final Kaoss
      • Nov 2006

Did you configure the config.php file beforehand? Also, check your server error_log files, Please start your topic with fully description and we'll help you

Comment

• donald1234
        • Oct 2011
        • 4.1.x

Did you protect the install folder with a .htaccess file?

Comment

• efipaul
          • Apr 2008
          • 3.6.x

Updated the first post with the error log message. It's that message over and over. I did not protect the install folder.

I believe it's something with the server configuration as well, but I can't find the solution.

Comment

• Final Kaoss
            • Nov 2006

Thank you, see if this article is of any help to you.

Client denied by server configuration

This error means that the access to the directory on the hard disk was denied by an Apache configuration. It could be that access was denied due to an explicit deny directive or due to an attempt to access a folder that is outside of the DocumentRoot. It can also happen when you are proxying and there's no access configured for the proxied location. And it is the default response to a PUT request.
            These are some reasons for this entry to be recorded in your ErrorLog:
            • The default Apache config includes Deny from all in the <Directory> block the DocumentRoot - this must be changed to allow access!
            • If you change the DocumentRoot, you will need to change the <Directory> block referring the old root, to the refer to the new root
            • You need a <Directory> block for every folder outside of your DocumentRoot, i.e. your cgi-bin folder.
            • You need a <Directory> or <Location> block for every Alias.
            • You need a <Location> or <Proxy> block for your proxy
            To fix this problem, look at the line in your ErrorLog, to find out which folder it is trying to access.
            If a <Directory> block already exists for that folder, make sure it is set to allow access as necessary. If not, add a <Directory> block to your Apache configuration file, allowing access as required. See the example below for folder /usr/local/awstats/htdocs.

Comment

• efipaul
              • Apr 2008
              • 3.6.x

Thank you very much! I ended up having to edit the htaccess file which had a block for the install.php function. It's installing right now.

Comment