Warning: Only vaiables should be passed by reference in ..../newreply.php on line 389

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobAC
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] Warning: Only vaiables should be passed by reference in ..../newreply.php on line 389

I am receiving this:

Warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in ..../newreply.php on line 389

...after upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 when posting a new thread reply with an attached inline image.

PHP Version 5.4.20
    Last edited by RobAC; Wed 9 Oct '13, 3:39am.
    Rob
  • RobAC
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.8.x

This warning message appears to be happening with every thread reply.

I also see that after running this upgrade, I am not seeing any template updates necessary like I usually do after a forum software upgrade. Is this correct?
    Rob

Comment

• RobAC
      • Jan 2001
      • 3.8.x

Am I the only one getting this error after upgrading? I've disabled with few addons I have - even removed them - and it does not fix the error message showing up at the top of the page after each thread reply.
      Rob

Comment

• RobAC
        • Jan 2001
        • 3.8.x

This is line 389:
        PHP Code:
        if ($foruminfo['allowhtml'])
            {

$htmlchecked fetch_htmlchecked($vbulletin->GPC['htmlstate']);

$newpost['htmlstate'] = array_pop($array array_keys(fetch_htmlchecked($vbulletin->GPC['htmlstate'])));   <----------LINE389

Rob

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

That is a genuine issue which should be logged in Jira, but my guess is probably only you and a handfull of others are seeing it.
          Basically its within code that only runs when you are allowing the posting of raw html in a forum, this is a big security risk and generally not allowed by site administrators.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• aag321
            • Jan 2013
            • 4.0.x

I have this exact same issue after upgrading. Can i asked a noob question and as what is Jira? and why is a Jira Problem after an upgrading to 4.2.2?
            So If we disable HTML content on a forum that should fix this issue?
            Last edited by aag321; Wed 9 Oct '13, 8:25pm.

Comment

• RobAC
              • Jan 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by aag321
              I have this exact same issue after upgrading. Can i asked a noob question and as what is Jira? and why is a Jira Problem after an upgrading to 4.2.2?
              Click on Tracker in the nav bar above. That is the JIRA system used for reporting and tracking bugs. My bug entry is here:

Rob

Comment

• RobAC
                • Jan 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                That is a genuine issue which should be logged in Jira, but my guess is probably only you and a handfull of others are seeing it.
                Basically its within code that only runs when you are allowing the posting of raw html in a forum, this is a big security risk and generally not allowed by site administrators.
                I have HTML turned on in some forums, because in some of the forums I need to post intricate tables and other markup that vBulletin is absolutely crappy at handling when using bb code.
                Rob

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Paul M
                  I am seeing it, We allow HTML for some of the same reasons as Rob and that is why we Vet our members well. Having a "handful" of customers that the update broke is not a reason for it to be low priority. I can't believe I have not learned my lesson about applying updates soon after they are released.
                  Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• RobAC
                    • Jan 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by rootsxrocks

I am seeing it, We allow HTML for some of the same reasons as Rob and that is why we Vet our members well. Having a "handful" of customers that the update broke is not a reason for it to be low priority. I can't believe I have not learned my lesson about applying updates soon after they are released.
                    roots, you can blame me for the priority....that's what I set it to because I didn't feel that it was as important as bug that was not allowing a function to take place, such as posting a new reply at all. However, I agree, it's something that really needs to be addressed and fixed soon, because in my opinion, it's embarrassing to me as the site owner, to see that error showing every time a new post reply is made.

I agree with you on updating so quickly, but ironically, I moved 3 of my vBulletin sites - all running 4.2.1 to a new dedicated server running PHP5.4 - which created total havoc because of vBulletin's lack of support for PHP 5.4. So when this release was announced, I jumped on it.

Unfortunately, I will NOT upgrade my other forum sites with this release until this bug has been addressed.
                    Rob

Comment

• RobAC
                      • Jan 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Roots: Since I can't figure out how to post a comment in my own bug report in JIRA <rolling eyes>, I figured I'd respond back here....I haven't seen any issues with text alignment in posts since the upgrade and I have quick reply disabled, so all of my members get the fully wysiwyg controls upon posting a response.
                      Rob

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 4.2.X

Amen any error is an embarrassment, I genuinely thought since it has been so long since we had an update, that things would be fixed not stuff broken. I am trying to figure out exactly how to describe some problems. like I now have a transition splash page again that I thought I disabled way way back in 2010 but find no control for it. we are getting random double post. and it appears that the smily box is gone from the quick reply and on the advance reply everything is out of alignment. ARRRGHHH

I was genuinly looking forward to VB fulfilling its obligations to 4.xx so I could consider buying 5.xx
                        Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• RobAC
                          • Jan 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by rootsxrocks
                          Amen any error is an embarrassment, I genuinely thought since it has been so long since we had an update, that things would be fixed not stuff broken. I am trying to figure out exactly how to describe some problems. like I now have a transition splash page again that I thought I disabled way way back in 2010 but find no control for it. we are getting random double post. and it appears that the smily box is gone from the quick reply and on the advance reply everything is out of alignment. ARRRGHHH

I was genuinly looking forward to VB fulfilling its obligations to 4.xx so I could consider buying 5.xx
                          Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was just me, but I disabled the transition splash pages as well, but I started seeing them again after posting a new reply - which is where the PHP error is showing up - in the transition page. I went into my Admin and confirmed that the Transition pages are turned off.

So another bug? Who knows.
                          Rob

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by RobAC
                            Roots: Since I can't figure out how to post a comment in my own bug report in JIRA <rolling eyes>, I figured I'd respond back here....I haven't seen any issues with text alignment in posts since the upgrade and I have quick reply disabled, so all of my members get the fully wysiwyg controls upon posting a response.
                            Yeah it took me a minute to find it as well.
                            shoot I had a hard time figuring out were my subscriptions were here (messages WTF) and somehow notifications of replies had been unchecked when I finally found it.

Now If a 10 year VB veteran and forum admin has a hard time navigating VB5 How the hell am I to expect members to adjust to it. Some wheels simply do not need re-inventing .

Comment

• Goofy1
                              • Feb 2011

We're having the exact same issue since upgrading to 4.2.2 this morning, has anyone found a fix for it yet?

Edit - It only seemed to be happening in one forum section so i turned off HTML in there and it's fixed the issue for the time being. Be nice to get a 'real' fix though God i hate 'upgrades', they always seem to screw something up :lol:
                              Last edited by Goofy1; Sun 13 Oct '13, 10:18am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...