X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary303
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.0.x

Problems completing forum access - upgrade 4.2.0 PL 2 to 4.2.1

I successfully ran the upgrade ... it's just accessing the forum under the proper folder that is the challenge.

I used a technique I've used more than once successfully. I did read the online manual for this upgrade, and nothing was said about this technique.

If it matters - the forum was turned off during the upgrade so there was no more user activity.

Instead of uploading the files by writing over the existing files, I created a new forums folder called /forums-new/ . After editing the config file I uploaded everything normally. The config file is pointing at the regular database. Doing this means no files that are no longer being used are left in the file folders after the upgrade. And, there are no potential issues with over-writes.

Ran the upgrade - no problems, all done.

Took a look at the /forums-new/ forum and all was well. The old /forums/ was also working, although the database was of course upgraded.

Did the last step as I have done before - changed the old file folder to /forums-old/ and the new file folder from /forums-new/ to /forums/ .

But ... now I can't access the forums in either folder From the current /forums/ folder (with the new code files) I get this error message:

Warning: require_once(/vb.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]-new/includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php on line 99

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/vb.php' (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/modelhorseblab.com/httpdocs/forums-new/includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php on line 99

I'm noting that " [path]-new/include/... " has the -new ... thinking that is at the core of the problem.

I tried a path edit in the config file and it didn't change anything. Looked at class_bootstrap_framework.php and didn't see anything re the path to edit.

Any help suggestions? Thank you for your input!

• snakes1100
    • Aug 2001

If you didnt change the URL setting in the admincp, that would be a bad way of upgrading a forum.

Use tools.php in the correct folder & verify the URl settings etc.
    Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Mary303
      • Oct 2006
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by snakes1100
      If you didnt change the URL setting in the admincp, that would be a bad way of upgrading a forum.

Use tools.php in the correct folder & verify the URl settings etc.
      Do you mean add a "tools.php" ? I don't find one that is already in the files. I don't know what code needs to be in it. I'm not a php coder.

"in the correct folder" - what folder is that?

I have verified the URL settings in the AdminCP > Settings ... looked through all the dropdown selections to be sure they are all /forums/

Sorry I guess I don't have the background, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I've been using vBulletin since 2006 and have almost always upgraded this way. Changes in vB may have messed it up. I have a support ticket in but no answer yet ... I really need to get the forum back online.

The online manual upgrade instructions do not address this situation. I learned the technique from an experience vb admin, years ago.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Did you verify that the "missing" file actually exists on the server?

/includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mary303
          Mary303 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, this file does exist on the server, and in that location.
      • Mary303
        • Oct 2006
        • 4.0.x

Yes, this file does exist on the server, and in that location.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Do you have Suhosin or Mod_security installed on the server? You may have to ask your hosting provider. They may be blocking the file for some reason.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mary303
            • Oct 2006
            • 4.0.x

I have an inquiry off to the host. Unfortunately they are on GMT and there may not be a reply until tomorrow.

Is there anything else I can be doing in the meantime? Since the database is already upgraded, I assume it won't help to re-upload all the files into a folder just named /forums/ ? Is it a correct assumption that the problem may be upgrading from a folder named /forums-new/ , even though all the files and AdminCP settings had the correct /forums/ url's?

I have a feeling this is simple .. I just can't find it. Since the db is already upgraded I can't upgrade again right now. But, if necessary, I can get a restore of the db from the backup service and re-do it from /forums/. I am not able to get the restore until tonight.

thanks for your help Wayne!
            Last edited by Mary303; Mon 16 Sep '13, 10:17am.

Comment

• snakes1100
              • Aug 2001

Your php info page will tell you if suhosin is compiled into php, you can also look for mod_sec in the apache section of php
              Gentoo Geek

Comment

• Mary303
                • Oct 2006
                • 4.0.x

thanks ... Where do I find that?

Comment

• Mary303
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 4.0.x

Just to follow up ... the access to /forums/forum.php was resolved by the server host disabling a cache. Thanks to those who replied!

Comment