X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metalguy639
    • Aug 2009
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Strange behavoir after upgrade to vB 4.2.1

I have upgraded my client's forum to the latest vb 4.2.1. After the upgrade it still shows vB 4.2.0 in the footer & the admincp. I KNOW its upgraded because I did the upgrade on another PC on the same network in my house than the one I'm using now and can see the correct info on that PC. Here are the steps that I took to no avail:

1. Cleared ALL my browser cache, cookies, history etc - EVERYTHING from my browsers.
    2. Flushed the DNS cache on my PC (I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, 3.10 GHZ 12GB Ram)
    3. Rebooted.
    4. Have run ALL my spyware removal software & virus software just in case.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why it still shows 4.2.0. The site can be seen here: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/forum.php

Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Did you upload the files to the correct "forum" folder and run /install/upgrade.php?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• metalguy639
      • Aug 2009
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by beishe8
      Did you upload the files to the correct "forum" folder and run /install/upgrade.php?
      Yes already been all through that line of questioning. As I said above it DID upgrade properly its just not registering on one PC at my house. The other shows that its upgraded fine. This is more a PC problem related to vbulletin than a vb script error.

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by metalguy639
        Yes already been all through that line of questioning. As I said above it DID upgrade properly its just not registering on one PC at my house. The other shows that its upgraded fine. This is more a PC problem related to vbulletin than a vb script error.
        I don't know...
        On my PC it shows 4.2.0
        I did try it with a proxy: same result.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by metalguy639
          I have upgraded my client's forum to the latest vb 4.2.1. After the upgrade it still shows vB 4.2.0 in the footer & the admincp. I KNOW its upgraded because I did the upgrade on another PC on the same network in my house than the one I'm using now and can see the correct info on that PC. Here are the steps that I took to no avail:

1. Cleared ALL my browser cache, cookies, history etc - EVERYTHING from my browsers.
          2. Flushed the DNS cache on my PC (I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, 3.10 GHZ 12GB Ram)
          3. Rebooted.
          4. Have run ALL my spyware removal software & virus software just in case.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why it still shows 4.2.0. The site can be seen here: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/forum.php

Any help would be great. Thanks.
          Quick place to check is AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostic > Suspect File Versions to see if you indeed did upload all the correct vB 4.2.1 files to the server i.e. if version_vbulletin.php was updated. Or via phpadmin to check vB database's upgradelog to see if steps to completion where run.

Site http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/forum.php for me shows vB 4.2.0 though as well
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• metalguy639
            • Aug 2009
            • 4.2.X

I HAVE UPLOADED the files to the right place! I KNOW what I'm doing its not like I started working with vbulletin 5 minutes ago!!! Everything has been uploaded to the correct place. I've worked on this site for many years and have been able to upgrade just fine until 4.2.1. I've checked the suspect file versions and it says that some are suspect but there are numerous hacks installed on this site and those will show up as suspect file versions every time because they are NOT included in the default vbulletin package. When I download the files from the server it shows them as vb 4.2.1 files. This makes no sense at all and no one can seem to offer better support than check the file versions & upload to the correct place.
            Last edited by metalguy639; Wed 22 May '13, 10:00am. Reason: Just checked the other PC again and now it shows 4.2.0 again instea of 4.2.1 as it did the other day making me look like I'm crazy .....SIGH

Comment

• cloferba
              • Apr 2009
              • 3.8.x

Have you flushed the cache of APC, Memcached or similar?
              vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
              Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

• metalguy639
                • Aug 2009
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by cloferba
                Have you flushed the cache of APC, Memcached or similar?
                You mean in the vb admin panel? Hmmmm interesting idea I will try that and see. If that is not what you mean then is there a tutorial on flushing the memcache?

Comment

• snakes1100
                  • Aug 2001

Caching services such as APC, XCache & Memcache run on the server, not on your local machine, there are no GUIi's in the admincp for those to be flushed, XCache does have its own GUI though, but again, not in the admincp.

To flush APC or XCache, simply restart the webserver, ie apache.

If this site runs multiple load balanced web servers, then im guessing your doing rsync & not a NFS, which if the files arent updated on all web servers, then your going to have this issue.
                  Gentoo Geek

Comment

• metalguy639
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by snakes1100
                    Caching services such as APC, XCache & Memcache run on the server, not on your local machine, there are no GUIi's in the admincp for those to be flushed, XCache does have its own GUI though, but again, not in the admincp.

To flush APC or XCache, simply restart the webserver, ie apache.

If this site runs multiple load balanced web servers, then im guessing your doing rsync & not a NFS, which if the files arent updated on all web servers, then your going to have this issue.
                    Ok thanks I'll have my client contact their host as I do not believe that he has the ability to restart the server although he may have that ability in his account.

On a second note this is most likely certainly a web host issue for my client as I had no trouble upgrading another client's site to 4.2.1 from 4.2.0 yesterday and I used the same machine for both sites. So this is definitely an issue on his hosts side I believe.

I will post back and let everyone know how this went. Thanks for your time and help.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

It is still possible the files didn't get uploaded right, or the upgrade did not run successfully. No harm in re-uploading and re-running the upgrade. Everyone makes mistakes, and from time to time, somethings can go wrong.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

If I go to the upgrade.php script for the site, it says "vBulletin 4.2.0 Upgrade System" at the top.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• metalguy639
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                          It is still possible the files didn't get uploaded right, or the upgrade did not run successfully. No harm in re-uploading and re-running the upgrade. Everyone makes mistakes, and from time to time, somethings can go wrong.
                          How many times should I do that? I've uploaded and re-uploaded the files at least 5 times now. I really doubt that will make a difference at this point. I'm about 98% sure this is a server issue. The host restarted Apache and the same thing occurred but I noticed that only in the "install" directory contained old files even from as far back as vb 3.8.7 which we have not had on his server in quite some time. I deleted the "install" directory completely and then tried again still no luck. So, I'm having my client get his host to restart Apache again after I deleted the old install directory that seemed to never get overwritten and possible have them flush the server cache as well. Hopefully they can handle that I hold hope anyways. I will update you guys as I have info.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Its possible that your ftp is telling you the files are being uploaded, when they're not. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen.

Comment

• metalguy639
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                              Its possible that your ftp is telling you the files are being uploaded, when they're not. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen.
                              Don't see why it would do that with just that site and not the other site I just updated to 4.2.1 for another client last week. I was able to do an update on another site plus my own since 4.2.1 came out. THis is mainly why I believe it maybe server related.

Comment