• Nov 2005

[Forum] No site after upgrade ...

After upgrading from V4.10 to current i get this database error:

Code:
    Database error in vBulletin :
    Cannot use database 
    MySQL Error   : No database selected
    Error Number  : 1046
    Now i made a back up before the upgrade and after speaking with my host they say i should use the back up as they are unable to find the reason or problem of this issue!

My questions are:
    1: Can i use the back up for the upgrade or do i need to revert back to the older version?

2: Do i need to make a new database for the back up?

Thanks ...
  • Infopro
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.8.x

The upgrade completed and then you got this error, or during the upgrade? That's important. The upgrade should have checked and made sure it could connect before anything else, and then upgraded. If it upgraded ok, and then you got this error the upgrade might be considered as completed. If it did complete ok I wouldn't restore anything, I'd be trying to figure out what changed that the forum lost the connection to the database.

Comment

• Damlucy
      • Nov 2005

No i didn't get to the upgrade via Admin Panel, all i did was upload the files via FTP, then when i went to use the upgrade.php it was when i received the database error ...

Comment

• Infopro
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Ah, well the database has not been touched yet then. If I was to guess, you renamed config.php.new to config.php and uploaded with the rest of the new files. If yes, that new config.php needs to be edited to know where to find your database.

If this is the case, find a new host, this one you have now sounds clueless or unable to assist you properly.

Comment

• Damlucy
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Infopro
          Ah, well the database has not been touched yet then. If I was to guess, you renamed config.php.new to config.php and uploaded with the rest of the new files. If yes, that new config.php needs to be edited to know where to find your database.

If this is the case, find a new host, this one you have now sounds clueless or unable to assist you properly.
          lol, no i edited the new config before i attempted the upgrade, all these along with the databases were verified as correct well before they recommended to use my back up ..

Comment

• Infopro
            • Jun 2003
            • 3.8.x

If the upgrade could not find the database, then it clearly was not edited properly. Have you checked to see if the database itself does in fact exist?

BTW, for upgrades, you shouldn't need to edit the config.php at all unless the environment has changed.

Comment

• Damlucy
              • Nov 2005

Thanks for your imput, but i can confirm that all the data is correct and that after 6 years of using Vbulletin i would know how to make these checks ...

Comment

• Infopro
                • Jun 2003
                • 3.8.x

Thats great to hear, nothing like experience to get you through. If the database is intact, and the config.php is perfecto, then the error remains unexplained.

MySQL Error : No database selected

Or is it explained by the error itself? You tell me.

GL!

Comment

• Damlucy
                  • Nov 2005

But this is the problem .. See post #1

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Your config.php file is correct? Make sure the database name listed in there is correct. Though if it wasn't you should get a different error. Unfortunately, that is the only thing that I can think of though.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Damlucy
                      • Nov 2005

I have done more checks than you can imagine.. I remember altering content.php and forum.php so that the domain didn't show forum.php/forum.php don't know if this has anything to do with the issue?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Damlucy
                        I have done more checks than you can imagine.. I remember altering content.php and forum.php so that the domain didn't show forum.php/forum.php don't know if this has anything to do with the issue?
                        Could. You would have to restore the default files in order to have us help you.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Damlucy
                          • Nov 2005

Getting closer, i can now access the admin panel but i get this error why i try to access the forums?

Code:
                          [B]Warning[/B]: mysql_connect() [[URL="https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/function.mysql-connect"]function.mysql-connect[/URL]]: Access denied for user '******_*****'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in [B][path]/forum.php(653) : eval()'d code[/B] on line [B]7[/B]
                          I cannot connect to the database.
                          But if i add http://www.********.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 it takes me to that area of the site with no error? It just looks like the forum area??

This is with the default files btw ...

Comment

• Damlucy
                            • Nov 2005

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Solves the problem .....

Was Photopost ....

Comment

• TheNewOne
                              • Aug 2011

did you not disable your plugins in the first place before you updated?

Comment