X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SouthpawK
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.7.x

[Forum] Question on test site...Please

OK, so early last year I set up a test site of my live site, password protected, etc and everything worked great...no problems.

Then I got sick and spent the last 14 months in and out of chemo. I am still recovering but am fine now and ready to get back to work.

My live site has gone on and also has things added to it that the test site did not. So, I downloaded my live site and uploaded it to the test site overwriting what was there. I also have a seperate database for the test site and put that info into the config file for the test site. Everything on the test site is fine except for when I go to the forums it goes to the live site, not the test site. Like I said the test site is fine except the forums link and a couple other things I added like invitations mod. And of course links that I added but I know that I just need to change the links for those. But I need my link to my forums to work.

I went into the admincp for the test site and changed the cookie path to /testvb/ and the forum url but no matter what I put there it won't work. On my live site it is http://www.site.com/forum So on the test site I put http://www.site.com/testvb/forum but it still goes to the live site when you click on the forum link. I have added /index.php, just testvb after the site name, I have tried everything to get it to work with no luck. Last year when I first set it up it was working fine. But I deleted the test site and made a new one with the files from the live site and now I can't get that forum link correct.

I need this to work so I can upgrade it to vb4 and test it before doing my live site. Can anyone give me any ideas what I might be missing?

I would appreciate any help offered...this is driving me up the wall!

Thanks,
    Kimberly
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You can only have one database and one set of data. If you are using the test database, then that is what you will see. Please explain what you are trying to accomplish.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SouthpawK
      • Jul 2008
      • 3.7.x

I have one database for my live site and one database for my test site (testvb), each with their own name, user and password. I downloaded all the files from my live site and then uploaded them to the testvb folder for my test site. I then changed the database name, user and password in the config.php on the test site to reflect the info for the test sites database. Everything works fine except for when I click on the forums link on my test site it takes me to my live forums instead of the testvb forums.

In the test sites admincp I changed the cookie path to /testvb/ and the forum url to http://www.website.com/testvb/forum but it still goes to the forums on the live site. I tried http://www.website.com/testvb/forum/index.php - same thing. So, what I am trying to accomplish is, when I click on the forums link on my test site

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

You need to set the correct forum URL here:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• SouthpawK
          • Jul 2008
          • 3.7.x

I did that trying both links I mentioned above but the link to the forums still goes to my live site. That URL that you are speaking of is the one that is giving me problems.

By the way, thank you for responding...I do appreciate it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Then I truly have no idea which links you are talking about. The only way vB would use different links is if you have some sort of redirect going on.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• SouthpawK
              • Jul 2008
              • 3.7.x

OK, lets try this...my live site is www.frro.org across the top bar is home, forum, community, etc. When you click on Forum it goes to the forums. Well, on the test site it goes to the forums but on the live site instead of the test site.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Again, assuming you have the forum URL set correct;y, this is due to a custom redirect.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• SouthpawK
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 3.7.x

Thank you Steve, I'll keep working at it...

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

If your test site is using the live site links, then you'll need to update the database directly to fix these. Try running this against your test database to fix this.

***MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULL BACKUP PRIOR TO RUNNING THIS***

Code:
                    UPDATE PREFIXsetting SET value = 'http://www.newurl.com' WHERE varname = 'bburl';
                    UPDATE PREFIXdatastore SET data = REPLACE(data, 's:5:"bburl";s:23:"http://www.oldurl.com";', 's:5:"bburl";s:29:"http://www.newurl.com";') WHERE title = 'options';
                    Change 'oldurl' and 'newurl' to the correct URLs for the query and replace 'PREFIX' with any prefix your tables may have or remove if none.
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment