Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zackw
    • Aug 2010
    • 4.0.x

[Suite] Upgrade taking a long time, stuck?

I'm currently upgrading from 4.0.7 to 4.1.3. I disabled the forum, disabled the hooks system. I uploaded all the files and ran upgrade.php. It went through all the steps but it's just sitting at 15 of 16 at 19% and hasn't budged for 15 minutes or so. The bottom of the details list reads: "Step 14 - Updating searchgroup_text table". But that is step 14, the top says it's on step 15 and I don't know what that is.

I'm afraid the script will time out or something if it goes too long, how do I know it's working if it stays at 19%? Should I refresh the page or what? Not sure what's normal or what this step is doing. How long should I wait?

Thanks for any guidance here. We have 600+ people bouncing in their seats to get back on the forum!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

How many posts do you have on your forums? That step could take a long time.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zackw
      • Aug 2010
      • 4.0.x

Update: I tried visiting the forum on another computer. I should get the message that the forum is off for upgrading but instead I got this error from Chrome:
      Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.

Firefox it says: "The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression."

Is this normal during the actual upgrade process or am I supposed to see the forum down for maintenance message?

Comment

• Zackw
        • Aug 2010
        • 4.0.x

We have over a million posts. I'm just wondering how long, any ballpark? We talking 20 minutes or 3 hours? Is it possible the script will time out and fail or can I just let it run indefinitely?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

I would use the CLI Upgrader rather than the normal version.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

The time depends on your server. It could take 20 minutes or more than 3 hours.

Edit config.php and add this line:

DEFINE('NOZIP', 1);

...right under the <?php line to disable GZIP.

Also as Trevor said you should use the shell upgrader. Please see these instructions to upgrade via shell:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zackw
              • Aug 2010
              • 4.0.x

OK the script did fail eventually in the browser with timeout. I went and did the shell upgrade instead, but not the NOZIP config thing. That was brilliant, the shell finished updating in like 18 seconds and seems to work fine.

Thanks I'll have to remember that for the next upgrade. You should add that to the install help that comes with the upgrade.

Comment