VB Installed - But - Host Not Shooting Straight About Max Resources for Migration

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tChristine
    • Apr 2010

[Suite] VB Installed - But - Host Not Shooting Straight About Max Resources for Migration

The Starting Point:
    • I'm hosted on a shared server with (so called) "unlimited space/bandwidth" - running phpbb3 for over a year.
    • Members: 1900
    • Average Members logged in at any given time: 100

Current Facts:
    • I installed 2 instances of VB: The main site, and a practice site - the Host had zero complaints.

The Problem, aka "The Catch 22":

• I need to migrate the data from phpbb3 to VB Suite.
    • The Host says they will allow the migration script. However, according to their TOS, I cannot use more than 10% of the server's total resources while running it.
    • If I go over the 10% limit during migration, they will lock down my site.

I don't know the total available CPU usage on my server to *figure out* how much 10% actually is. Meaning, 10% of _____?

I've asked my Host, and all they tell me is, "Run the script and we'll let you know if you go over 10%"

That seems pretty darn risky to just roll the dice and face a shutdown.

Question:
    • Based on the information above, can anyone tell me the "average" resources needed to run the migration script?

I know, no one can tell me for certain, but I'm just looking for an approximate average, based on the experience of people here.

Thanks
    FF w/ Web Dev / Firebug / DW
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Any reason you don't install sometihng like xammp or do the migration on another server? You could do the import on your local computer, then just restore the database.

Comment

• tChristine
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zachery
      Any reason you don't install sometihng like xammp or do the migration on another server? You could do the import on your local computer, then just restore the database.
      Hi Zachery,

Running the import local, and then restoring the database sounds like a great idea to reduce resources on the server. Since my last post, I found out the server details from my host:

CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506
      Memory: 8 Gb
      Server connected to Internet through 100Mbp channel.

Bottomline, even with going over the VB manual on imports, I'm not clear if I could do it.

I've hired a service to do the migration .. not sure if it's okay to mention the service here.. so I won't. This is what they're saying:
      For our past experience, with the amount of posts and threads of your forum, the script could run for 30+ minutes non stop to complete the import process. Also to clarify that 30+ minutes script, this is just one script out of about 10 major scripts. The other scripts also needs to run but will be faster than the big one.
      I think I need a different service to run the migration. Any reliable ones you know of?

Thanks
      FF w/ Web Dev / Firebug / DW

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...