Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cammot
    • Jul 2009

[Forum] Upgrading from 4.7 to 4.8

I attempted to upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8 following the instructions as outlined. However, my vB is still showing as 4.8.

When I came to final steps on the upgrade, there was a messages that read something to the effect that the 4.8 was not installed. I continued and followed all the scripts which finally brought me back to the CP - showing that 4.7 was still the version being run.

Could someone please advise, what I should do to complete this install.

Thanks

cammot
  • cammot
    • Jul 2009

I meant to state that my forum is still showing as 4.7. The upgrade did not take.

Please advise what I missed, or what to do.

Thanks

cammot

Comment

• M@rc
      • Mar 2009
      • 4.0.x

Are you sure that you've uploaded all of the vBulletin 4.0.8 files?

If you're certain about this, go to the index of your forum and insert this into the URL and start the upgrade system.

PHP Code:
      /install/upgrade_408.php 

Comment

• cammot
        • Jul 2009

I am only doing an upgrade, not full install. The install instructions states NOT TO upload the Install folder for upgrades. So the path/file you suggest does not exist.

Comment

• M@rc
          • Mar 2009
          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by cammot
          I am only doing an upgrade, not full install. The install instructions states NOT TO upload the Install folder for upgrades. So the path/file you suggest does not exist.
          Do NOT upload the install.php file. Path location : /install/install.php

Upload your install folder, but remove the install.php file before uploading the files, then enter the upgrade system using this path to upgrade to version 4.0.8 :

PHP Code:
          /install/upgrade_408.php 

Comment

• cammot
            • Jul 2009

I could try that, but might be getting ahead - because this is the message I get when I begin the script install process:

"Your vBulletin (4.0.7) does not appear to be running the version that was downloaded (4.0.8)"

I cannot understand why I would get the above statement, after uploading everything that was required !.

Any thoughts ?

cammot

Comment

• M@rc
              • Mar 2009
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by cammot
              I could try that, but might be getting ahead - because this is the message I get when I begin the script install process:

"Your vBulletin (4.0.7) does not appear to be running the version that was downloaded (4.0.8)"

I cannot understand why I would get the above statement, after uploading everything that was required !.

Any thoughts ?

cammot
              Can you post a screen shot and a link to your forum so that I can take a look at this?

Thanks!

Comment

• cammot
                • Jul 2009

How can a screen shot of my forum define the issue I described !!!!

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Reupload the 4.0.8 files, and re-run install/upgrade.pghp

Comment

• cammot
                    • Jul 2009

Re uploading the folders and files did not help. I am still getting this message:

One thing I do notice is that there are several 'permission denied' with error message 'critical file transfer error'. This perhaps indicates that some file are not being uploaded. What is the reason for this and how should I fix it.

Thanks

cammot

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Check with your webhost, if some files are missing the upgrade script won't function correctly.

Comment

• cammot
                        • Jul 2009

OK, I finally got it successfully installed - but had to upload the 'install' folder for it to work !. The read-me file explicitly said 'do Not' upload the install folder. My original install folder on my server did not have the upgrade_408.php file, but the download folde had it, so I took a guess and thought that's what I needed to get the upgrade to work and it did.
                        Could someone please explain why this was not part of the read me instruction ?.

Thanks

cammot

Comment

• melbo
                          • Apr 2005
                          • 3.8.x

You must upload the /install/ folder, you don't have to upload the install.php file within it it. vB will tell you to remove this file if you have uploaded it.

From the readme.txt:

Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of
                          'install/install.php'
                          . Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder. In this you
                          will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open
                          it in a text editor.

Comment

• cammot
                            • Jul 2009

Ah ha !!! OK, I get it. The instruction was a mis-read on my part, i.e. "with the exception of
                            'install/install.php
                            " . Easily misread !. Maybe they need to re-write that instruction for better clarity, especially considering that the install won't complete with the install.php not deleted from the host .

Thanks
                            cammot

Comment