Leased License running 3.8.4. expires - Upgrade to V 4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oceanside
    • Sep 2009

[Forum] Leased License running 3.8.4. expires - Upgrade to V 4?

Greetings everyone.

Our leased license expires on August 21st (tomorrow) and is currently running version 3.8.4.

We would like to purchase a license for version 4 and have it installed and ready to go within the next couple days, so I thought I'd pop by and ask a few questions to double-check my understanding of the upgrade process.

#1. According to the Version 4 manual, I only need 3.8 (+) to be able to run the full upgrade to version 4. If I purchase the latest version, will I be set to simply follow the "Upgrading vBulletin" instruction part of the manual by currently having version 3.8.4 (with no further upgrades or patches since this ver)?

#2. Secondly, our forum is currently running a custom template to fit 3.8. Will I most likely require a new template after the upgrade to 4 (+)?

Thanks,

O. C.
  • Deadly Stream
    • Mar 2008

As far as I know you can just upgrade from 3.8.4 so yeah follow the upgrade instructions.

You will have to make/download a new style, no 3.x.x style will work on 4.x.x

Of course you can buy version 4 and still use 3.8.4, you don't have to upgrade.
    Epic sunburn!

Comment

• Oceanside
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Deadly Stream
      As far as I know you can just upgrade from 3.8.4 so yeah follow the upgrade instructions.

You will have to make/download a new style, no 3.x.x style will work on 4.x.x

Of course you can buy version 4 and still use 3.8.4, you don't have to upgrade.
      Thanks. Yeah we thought about sticking with 3.8.4, but we figured the long-term forum capabilities of Version 4 would make it worth a new template adjustment now. We'll see.

We've been instructed via e-mail to go here to pick up a 4.0 Forum License:

However, I noticed that this prompts us to re-enter all our information and essentially open up a brand new account. I might be wrong, but I thought a few months ago we were also given the opportunity to upgrade to a full 4.0 License for a discount by using our current account. I may have misunderstood though, so any clarification on that would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

O. C.

Comment

• Deadly Stream
        • Mar 2008

Go to http://members.vbulletin.com, there you can choose to upgrade/renew.
        Epic sunburn!

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Just click on the CUSTOMER LOGIN link on the top of every page in the frontend.

Comment

• Oceanside
            • Sep 2009

Okay great.

Now I see that I can Upgrade to 4.0 Forums for $175.00 (i.e. a $20.00 discount).

If I choose this option and checkout, does it give me a lifetime license for VB Version 4?

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Yes, you can use any versions of vBulletin that you can download from your account and you can use them forever.
              As long as you abide by the license agreement.

Comment

• Oceanside
                • Sep 2009

Thanks Zachery.

Very helpful as always.

Comment

• jtech77
                  • Aug 2009

Does a 1 year owned mean I cannot download any updates again?

Comment

• Oceanside
                    • Sep 2009

Update:

We went ahead and purchased the upgrade license for $175.00.

I've been reviewing the new features of Version 4 and although I would like to give it a shot, I'm not sure I will end up preferring it over our current setup with 3.8.

If I install the upgrade to version 4, can I easily revert back to 3.8? Or is that a big hassle?

Thanks,

O. C.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

There is no way to revert short of a backup.

Comment

• Oceanside
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zachery
                        There is no way to revert short of a backup.
                        Okay, so I definitely want to create a backup and store it in a VERY safe place before upgrading to V4 then... Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...