My forum is gone. Please help. (Upgrade from 4.0.0 to 4.0.6)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chloe
    • Nov 2007

[Suite] My forum is gone. Please help. (Upgrade from 4.0.0 to 4.0.6)

This is my first time ever doing anything like this. The technical person on the administration team for my board has left the country and I have taken it upon myself to upgrade to vb4, because, after all, we bought it.

My forum, which is currently operating in vb3, is actually intact. What is missing is the mockup for vb4 that the tech person had started before.

I followed the instructions on upgrading from the manual step by step. All went well. The only conflicts came during the Styles upgrade. I think this is because our old tech person was designing their own styles in a way which was not supported by vbulletin.

I reached the end of the installation script. It told me to delete the install/install.php file and I did. I was brought to the admin login page, which looked normal. I typed in my username and password and got nothing. A blank white page, mocking me for my efforts.

I reached out to another moderator to try to log in. She was able to log in and said everything looked normal upon initial inspection except the Style Generator which looks like this: http://i35.tinypic.com/2vt7gq8.jpg

She has only been able to log in to the admincp on Firefox. She can't login on IE. I haven't been able to login on Firefox or IE with my username or hers.

What the heck could this be?

I'm sorry to be a pain, thank you all very much for your help in advance.
  • chloe
    • Nov 2007

Update: disabled plugins and I am able to login to the cp and the site shows up... the page/template/style is just one enormous hot mess. And the style generator is still all out of whack like I posted in the screencap.

I think the only thing that needs immediate addressing is the Style Generator. Could you help?
    Last edited by chloe; Thu 19 Aug '10, 6:03pm.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
      • Sep 2008

So it upgraded but immediately afterwards it looked horrid?

OR

It messed up during the upgrade and I'm not sure if I did it all correctly?

Former vBulletin Support Staff
      Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
      Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
        • Sep 2008

Hmm scratch that in your screenshot it says 4.0.6

Basically try re-uploading all the vBulletin 4.0.6 files again and see if that fixes it. Re-enable mods (if you edited config.php and added in the disable hooks code remove it etc) then turn off each mod one by one until you fin the one causing the issue.

It could be some other things.. brb

Edit: Ok refer to this post by me: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post2029115

Skip #1 unless you see old vB3 styles then delete them but pretty much re-upload all the 4.0.6 files, if that does not work then view that post and try all the steps but #1.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• chloe
          • Nov 2007

Thanks for the reply!

Since I posted, I made a good deal of progress! The CSS is stored in files. I edited the permissions of the vbulletin_css file and that made it so i could upload styles without error and the Style Generator page looks perfect!

I also uploaded the vbulletin-styles.xml file, because I had difficulting uploading that originally. I thought that was gonna work, it LOOKED like it was going to work, but no change.

No changes I make to the styles (include doing the rebuild styles, as suggested in your other post) are reflected on the forum or the homepage. It's just totally white and unstructured.

Another strange thing: the original VB4 (originally uploaded in directory as "A" for example) is in a different directory than my upgrade ("B"). But when I click on "Forums" or "AdminCP" on the B, it will direct me to the respective page on A.

I'm a mess. lol.

Thank you for helping!!!

Comment

• sross
            • Mar 2004

put your css back into the database instead of the file system. I had a similar vb4 bug and after moving css back out of the filesystem life became far easier. Enjoy the 100's of other bugs you are about to discover

Comment

• chloe
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sross
              put your css back into the database instead of the file system. I had a similar vb4 bug and after moving css back out of the filesystem life became far easier. Enjoy the 100's of other bugs you are about to discover
              Thanks for the suggestion.

but....uh.... how do I do that?

Sorry. I'm like REAL BASIC here.

Comment

• sross
                • Mar 2004

settings->options->style and languge settings "store css as files? set to no. worth a shot anyways, you can always set it back to yes.

Comment

• chloe
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sross
                  settings->options->style and languge settings "store css as files? set to no. worth a shot anyways, you can always set it back to yes.

IT WORKED.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOSH. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Comment

• sross
                    • Mar 2004

cool

Comment