Requires reverts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imedic
    replied
    Many thanks, now is much clear. Better to ask than to be sorry. Hope is useful for others too.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    1. If everything looks ok on your site, you can dismiss this. It's simply a notification to tell you that it's happened. If you spot anything not quite right, view the changes and then tweak them until the template is how you wish.

2. View the highlighted changes then you have two choices:

a. Revert the template and re-apply any customisations or
    b. Add anything which is highlighted in the 'new' column to your existing template so that the necessary code change is included.

Your Customized Template - The template as it was prior to the upgrade
    Merged Template (conflicts show original text) - The template as it now is taking a combination of the existing template and the changes from the upgrade
    New Default Template - the template as it would be if you reverted it to the default taking into account the changes from the upgrade

Leave a comment:

• imedic
    replied
    I am still confused about reverting or not.

1. From 406 to 411 I have 4 templates with: Changes were automatically merged into this template , what I do here?

A. Revert, or
    B. Dismiss the notifcation because the merge was succesfull? I have done revert in same situation upgrading another forum and is functional (except user profile that has white text not very visible).

2. Another 2 templates are with red: The attempted merge failed due to conflicts What I do here?
    A. backup in text file old template , do revert and reedit the template with my modifications?
    B. backup in text file old template , ignore the notification and reedit the template with my modifications?
    C Other? ?
    I have notice that even if the merge failed I have my template modification still working , this means old template is still working and nothing was changed due to conflict.

And finnaly when I compare templates what is the new one that will be saved (or is already saved and i just need to ignore) out of the 3 templates shown when you compare them side by side
    Your Customized Template - old template customized by me?
    Merged Template (conflicts show original text) ???? what is this
    New Default Template - this is the template saved and if it is ok i can ignore the notification?

If I have done revert on previous templates that where merged successfully and I was supposed to ignore them what I can do to fix (if it is something to fix)?

Should be made a upgrade of the manual as this is little confusing ...
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by imedic; Fri 28 Jan '11, 8:06am.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Originally posted by Boofo
    On a side noted, if one of your master templates gets deleted (by being reverted) or edited, will doing this replace it with the default one again?
    As far as I'm aware, yes

Leave a comment:

• Tech_Guru
    replied
    my problem is also related that

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?359805-4.0.6-template-forum-images-r-not-loading-...!!

plzz help me how to solve this problem

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
    Do we all have to be here for this 'love in'?
    No, you're excused.

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
    Regarding the OP's problem - have you tried re-importing the Master Style again using tools.php? Upload that file to your AdminCP directory, navigate to it in your browser, enter your customer number then click on the [Style] link.
    On a side noted, if one of your master templates gets deleted (by being reverted) or edited, will doing this replace it with the default one again?

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Do we all have to be here for this 'love in'?

Regarding the OP's problem - have you tried re-importing the Master Style again using tools.php? Upload that file to your AdminCP directory, navigate to it in your browser, enter your customer number then click on the [Style] link.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace
    I'm pretty sure you taught me a good portion of what got me going.
    And I learned quite a bit from you along the way. I probably got the better end of the deal, though.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Believe it or not, I am learning.
    I'm pretty sure you taught me a good portion of what got me going.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace
    I'd like to think you could be trusted to play with styles with Debug enabled though Bob.

Oh.. hang on..
    Believe it or not, I am learning.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Yes, you are right. I do have debug enabled in the Admin CP. I forgot all about that. My bad. Continue on.
    I'd like to think you could be trusted to play with styles with Debug enabled though Bob.

Oh.. hang on..

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace
    The only way to revert(/delete) a MASTER STYLE template is if you are in debug mode, which requires an edit to config.php, and is fairly obvious when looking at a forum page due to the debug info spewed out under the footer.

(Ace's handy hint - never revert/edit/look at/think about looking at the MASTER STYLE templates. There's no reason to. Really. )
    Yes, you are right. I do have debug enabled in the Admin CP. I forgot all about that. My bad. Continue on.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    The only way to revert(/delete) a MASTER STYLE template is if you are in debug mode, which requires an edit to config.php, and is fairly obvious when looking at a forum page due to the debug info spewed out under the footer.

(Ace's handy hint - never revert/edit/look at/think about looking at the MASTER STYLE templates. There's no reason to. Really. )

Leave a comment:

• jdj
    replied
    Good question...and how would I know?

You didn't by chance revert a master template that you had changed, did you?
    Don't know. I've created my own styles, previously deleted the default style and made my main style the default. Reason being that for some reason whether I set the default style such that users are not supposed to be able to select it, it still shows on the forum to users who aren't registered or logged in and the branding of the default style that comes with the software does not fit with our colour scheme.

If that means I've deleted something essential I wasn't aware I was doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by jdj
    I've been trying to upgrade from 4.0.3 to the latest versions; so far only on my test site in order to ensure that everything was hunky dory. I only have one customised template (styles modified to keep stats off homepage, which we see no point in). When I got to the "revert" bit I didn't know whether revert meant "revert to uncustomised" or "revert to customised". I pressed revert thinking it was the former and the installation failed: Board just wouldn't work. Tried rolling back to my backed up installation (I copy and paste the entire directory the present forum is installed in). That wouldn't work either. So something during the upgrade must have affected the database. I'm now very nervous of installing 4.0.6 which I note has just come out.

Where I'm up to is that I think my only safe option must be to extract a backup of the live database from MySQL (which is easy), do a clean install of 4.0.6 and import the live database into it on the test installation. Then check it's working before finally changing the bindings on the site to point at the test installation, making the test installation the new live installation.

If anyone can point me at a thread that shows me how I easily import the backup of the live site into a new installation I'd much appreciate it. And I'd be wary of that "revert" button.
    You didn't by chance revert a master template that you had changed, did you?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...