X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PBPR
    • May 2009
    • 4.0.x

[Suite] Requires reverts?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I was looking at the "vBulletin 4.0.6 Maintenance Release - Now Available" thread and there is a part that says...

Updated templates
    Requires reverts

Does this means I have to go one by one and click revert?

Sorry!
    Vbulletin Rocks!!!
    What you do in life, echoes in eternity
  • Boofo
    • Apr 2002
    • 4.1.x

Only if you have changed or added anything to those templates.
    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Cruncher Pete
      • Jan 2010

I would like to extend the question that was submitted by PBPR for I do not think it is a stupid question. I feel hat sometimes the educators are educatiing the educated and forget that some of us are new to various terminologies at least. I just like some confirmation/advice how to do this correctly. If for example a template has been changed for whatever reason by the customer, what is the correct proceedure to follow.

1. If you revert, I guess you will loose whatever modifications that was made, but if it reverts does it reverts to an earlier form without modifications or to the new Merged template without the mods.

2. If you wish to keep the modified template, what is the procedure, do you edit the new template by copying the old code into the new merged template since it was not merged completely because the original code was altered.? Do we add the old code or change the highlighted code (I think it is in yellow) by deleting the new code and replacing it with the old.

My apologies, it is kind of confusing to me even trying to explain it.

Comment

• Boofo
        • Apr 2002
        • 4.1.x

Whenever I edit a template, I keep a backup TXT file of the changes I made so I can re-do them in case of an upgrade where the template needs to be reverted. That is the best and safest way to do it, I think.

You should be OK to upgrade without manually reverting any templates until after the upgrade. It will try to merge what it can during the upgrade. Then go to the Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Find Updated Templates should catch the rest of them.
        Last edited by Boofo; Wed 11 Aug '10, 11:41pm.
        vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

When you revert a template, it reverts to the latest default version of the template as imported during the upgrade. You will lose all modifications you've made to that template. This is essential to pick up necessary code changes for functionality or security reasons.

If you have a heavily customised template, you can use the 'View Highlighted Changes' option and compare the new default template and your customised template side-by-side. This will allow you to then note what changes you will need to make to the template manually rather than reverting and starting again.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• jdj
            • Jan 2009
            • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
            When you revert a template, it reverts to the latest default version of the template as imported during the upgrade. You will lose all modifications you've made to that template. This is essential to pick up necessary code changes for functionality or security reasons.

If you have a heavily customised template, you can use the 'View Highlighted Changes' option and compare the new default template and your customised template side-by-side. This will allow you to then note what changes you will need to make to the template manually rather than reverting and starting again.
            I've been trying to upgrade from 4.0.3 to the latest versions; so far only on my test site in order to ensure that everything was hunky dory. I only have one customised template (styles modified to keep stats off homepage, which we see no point in). When I got to the "revert" bit I didn't know whether revert meant "revert to uncustomised" or "revert to customised". I pressed revert thinking it was the former and the installation failed: Board just wouldn't work. Tried rolling back to my backed up installation (I copy and paste the entire directory the present forum is installed in). That wouldn't work either. So something during the upgrade must have affected the database. I'm now very nervous of installing 4.0.6 which I note has just come out.

Where I'm up to is that I think my only safe option must be to extract a backup of the live database from MySQL (which is easy), do a clean install of 4.0.6 and import the live database into it on the test installation. Then check it's working before finally changing the bindings on the site to point at the test installation, making the test installation the new live installation.

If anyone can point me at a thread that shows me how I easily import the backup of the live site into a new installation I'd much appreciate it. And I'd be wary of that "revert" button.

Comment

• Boofo
              • Apr 2002
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by jdj
              I've been trying to upgrade from 4.0.3 to the latest versions; so far only on my test site in order to ensure that everything was hunky dory. I only have one customised template (styles modified to keep stats off homepage, which we see no point in). When I got to the "revert" bit I didn't know whether revert meant "revert to uncustomised" or "revert to customised". I pressed revert thinking it was the former and the installation failed: Board just wouldn't work. Tried rolling back to my backed up installation (I copy and paste the entire directory the present forum is installed in). That wouldn't work either. So something during the upgrade must have affected the database. I'm now very nervous of installing 4.0.6 which I note has just come out.

Where I'm up to is that I think my only safe option must be to extract a backup of the live database from MySQL (which is easy), do a clean install of 4.0.6 and import the live database into it on the test installation. Then check it's working before finally changing the bindings on the site to point at the test installation, making the test installation the new live installation.

If anyone can point me at a thread that shows me how I easily import the backup of the live site into a new installation I'd much appreciate it. And I'd be wary of that "revert" button.
              You didn't by chance revert a master template that you had changed, did you?

Comment

• jdj
                • Jan 2009
                • 5.1.x

Good question...and how would I know?

Originally posted by Boofo
                You didn't by chance revert a master template that you had changed, did you?
                Don't know. I've created my own styles, previously deleted the default style and made my main style the default. Reason being that for some reason whether I set the default style such that users are not supposed to be able to select it, it still shows on the forum to users who aren't registered or logged in and the branding of the default style that comes with the software does not fit with our colour scheme.

If that means I've deleted something essential I wasn't aware I was doing it.

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

The only way to revert(/delete) a MASTER STYLE template is if you are in debug mode, which requires an edit to config.php, and is fairly obvious when looking at a forum page due to the debug info spewed out under the footer.

(Ace's handy hint - never revert/edit/look at/think about looking at the MASTER STYLE templates. There's no reason to. Really. )
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Boofo
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ace
                    The only way to revert(/delete) a MASTER STYLE template is if you are in debug mode, which requires an edit to config.php, and is fairly obvious when looking at a forum page due to the debug info spewed out under the footer.

(Ace's handy hint - never revert/edit/look at/think about looking at the MASTER STYLE templates. There's no reason to. Really. )
                    Yes, you are right. I do have debug enabled in the Admin CP. I forgot all about that. My bad. Continue on.

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Yes, you are right. I do have debug enabled in the Admin CP. I forgot all about that. My bad. Continue on.
                      I'd like to think you could be trusted to play with styles with Debug enabled though Bob.

Oh.. hang on..
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Boofo
                        • Apr 2002
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ace
                        I'd like to think you could be trusted to play with styles with Debug enabled though Bob.

Oh.. hang on..
                        Believe it or not, I am learning.

Comment

• Ace
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.2.X

Believe it or not, I am learning.
                          I'm pretty sure you taught me a good portion of what got me going.

Comment

• Boofo
                            • Apr 2002
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Ace
                            I'm pretty sure you taught me a good portion of what got me going.
                            And I learned quite a bit from you along the way. I probably got the better end of the deal, though.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 5.7.X

Do we all have to be here for this 'love in'?

Regarding the OP's problem - have you tried re-importing the Master Style again using tools.php? Upload that file to your AdminCP directory, navigate to it in your browser, enter your customer number then click on the [Style] link.
                              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...