Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdj
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
    When you revert a template, it reverts to the latest default version of the template as imported during the upgrade. You will lose all modifications you've made to that template. This is essential to pick up necessary code changes for functionality or security reasons.

If you have a heavily customised template, you can use the 'View Highlighted Changes' option and compare the new default template and your customised template side-by-side. This will allow you to then note what changes you will need to make to the template manually rather than reverting and starting again.
    I've been trying to upgrade from 4.0.3 to the latest versions; so far only on my test site in order to ensure that everything was hunky dory. I only have one customised template (styles modified to keep stats off homepage, which we see no point in). When I got to the "revert" bit I didn't know whether revert meant "revert to uncustomised" or "revert to customised". I pressed revert thinking it was the former and the installation failed: Board just wouldn't work. Tried rolling back to my backed up installation (I copy and paste the entire directory the present forum is installed in). That wouldn't work either. So something during the upgrade must have affected the database. I'm now very nervous of installing 4.0.6 which I note has just come out.

Where I'm up to is that I think my only safe option must be to extract a backup of the live database from MySQL (which is easy), do a clean install of 4.0.6 and import the live database into it on the test installation. Then check it's working before finally changing the bindings on the site to point at the test installation, making the test installation the new live installation.

If anyone can point me at a thread that shows me how I easily import the backup of the live site into a new installation I'd much appreciate it. And I'd be wary of that "revert" button.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    When you revert a template, it reverts to the latest default version of the template as imported during the upgrade. You will lose all modifications you've made to that template. This is essential to pick up necessary code changes for functionality or security reasons.

If you have a heavily customised template, you can use the 'View Highlighted Changes' option and compare the new default template and your customised template side-by-side. This will allow you to then note what changes you will need to make to the template manually rather than reverting and starting again.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Whenever I edit a template, I keep a backup TXT file of the changes I made so I can re-do them in case of an upgrade where the template needs to be reverted. That is the best and safest way to do it, I think.

You should be OK to upgrade without manually reverting any templates until after the upgrade. It will try to merge what it can during the upgrade. Then go to the Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Find Updated Templates should catch the rest of them.
    Last edited by Boofo; Wed 11 Aug '10, 11:41pm.

Leave a comment:

• Cruncher Pete
    replied
    I would like to extend the question that was submitted by PBPR for I do not think it is a stupid question. I feel hat sometimes the educators are educatiing the educated and forget that some of us are new to various terminologies at least. I just like some confirmation/advice how to do this correctly. If for example a template has been changed for whatever reason by the customer, what is the correct proceedure to follow.

1. If you revert, I guess you will loose whatever modifications that was made, but if it reverts does it reverts to an earlier form without modifications or to the new Merged template without the mods.

2. If you wish to keep the modified template, what is the procedure, do you edit the new template by copying the old code into the new merged template since it was not merged completely because the original code was altered.? Do we add the old code or change the highlighted code (I think it is in yellow) by deleting the new code and replacing it with the old.

My apologies, it is kind of confusing to me even trying to explain it.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Only if you have changed or added anything to those templates.

Leave a comment:

• PBPR
    started a topic [Suite] Requires reverts?

Requires reverts?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I was looking at the "vBulletin 4.0.6 Maintenance Release - Now Available" thread and there is a part that says...

Updated templates
    Requires reverts

Does this means I have to go one by one and click revert?

Sorry!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...