Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nymyth
    • Jun 2002

[Suite] Upgrade from 3.8.4 to 4.x

I have a question, how do I upgrade my forum to the new version but without any of my mods, hacks etc. All I want are the members, threads, posts, usergroups, forums, forum permissions, thread/post images.

However, No avatars, No signatures etc.

I also have the suite so the homepage will have to be the CMS page

Mind you I do have vbseo and I will upgrading that too...would I have to do a fresh install or upgrade too?
    IT'S WHERE THE NET COMES TO LOITER!
  • TheLastSuperman
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by nymyth
    I have a question, how do I upgrade my forum to the new version but without any of my mods, hacks etc. All I want are the members, threads, posts, usergroups, forums, forum permissions, thread/post images.

However, No avatars, No signatures etc.

I also have the suite so the homepage will have to be the CMS page

Mind you I do have vbseo and I will upgrading that too...would I have to do a fresh install or upgrade too?
    1) Turn off & Backup your forum, this includes the Database and all Folders/Files on the server, if something happens you have the files to bring it back up to the version your on now .
    2) Disable all mods, individually via Product Manager or via adding a code snippet to config.php see here section 4 step 3 for details: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...s-and-Recovery!
    3) Upload the new files, run the upgrade script.

Good luck!

If something goes wrong, possible causes will be...

- Old files
    - Old styles
    - Old Modifications

It's best to turn off the mods individually AND then in config.php, that way when you enable them again by commenting out the disable hooks in config or by removing it completely if one is not 100% compatible your forum will still work. some key mods for many owners have been updated but do not uninstall if you hear there is an upgrade coming as some 4.0 mods will update the old 3.0 code and the database info to work just fine.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• nymyth
      • Jun 2002

Thanks superman...

Comment

• nymyth
        • Jun 2002

what if my forum all this time was in a 'forum' folder so it was...www.blahblah.com/forum/

however I want the CMS on my root, how do I go about doing this?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Please see this page from the manual on how to do this:

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• nymyth
            • Jun 2002

Thanks Treveor, did all that, however I cannot post to a CMS article and my avatars on the widgets are not showing up...ive put in a ticket

Comment

• nymyth
              • Jun 2002

ok, I've pretty much got everything working now except my widget avatars: my image url is all messed up, keeps putting in forum//forum instead of just forum/

Comment

• nymyth
                • Jun 2002

Is there no one that might have a remote idea as to why this is happening to my widgets. It only happens in the CMS section, the widgets in the forum show my avatars just fine

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...