X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiokid
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.1.x

[Suite] Thank you vbulletin Guinea Pigs

For all you who are the first to be The vbulletin Guinea Pigs, (lets coin that phrase right now) there seems to be some issues once again when upgrading.
    Been there done that.

So... thank you for being the front line test piggies for all of us wounded veterans.

If this could be the official thread to let the battle wounded vb4 veterans a 100% assurance that we can move forward to 4.04, that would be great.
    I don't think I can take another head shot from the same team lol.

Is 4.0.4 ready to upgrade without surprises?
    Cheers!

RECORDING ORG
    created for musicians, by musicians
  • audiokid
    • Apr 2009
    • 4.1.x

Things like this worry me.
    Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• understated
      • Feb 2010

Your welcome!

Is 4.0.4 ready to upgrade without surprises?
      ...and not yet!

The FB integration is still buggy and the style generator was a big let-down, there are bugs in profiles and WOL as well as some widgets. I'd wait for inevitable patch level 1.

On the plus side, there were quite a few bugs fixed...
      Last edited by understated; Sun 20 Jun '10, 5:34pm.

Comment

• chewbacca
        • Sep 2004

You're welcome too.

Also http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-7479 if you ever tweak certain stylevars.

Comment

• Boofo
          • Apr 2002
          • 4.1.x

With vb the way it is now, I'm starting to think that vb's bug season is so bad that even a photograph of a dog has ticks.
          vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Glenn_E
            • Dec 2009
            • 4.2.X

I'm kinda seeing a pattern... those that upgrade their existing production install have issues. But, to complete the guinea pig responsibilities what about those that uninstall / disable the mods, install vb fresh, and upgrade just the database. We need some of those guinea pigs. PS... you guys are testing your upgrades on a test box, right?

Those that upgrade production without fully testing are taking a huge risk. Even the vb staff tells all admins to test everything thoroughly and to make a verified backup of your database and current production files before upgrading production.

I'm not upgrading until I can successfully run through a couple of flawless test upgrades and I'm satisfied with all the CMS, Blog, Forum, etc. functions! I encourage everyone to do the same.
            WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

• Daniel.P
              • Apr 2008
              • 4.0.x

Those that upgrade production without fully testing are taking a huge risk. Even the vb staff tells all admins to test everything thoroughly and to make a verified backup of your database and current production files before upgrading production.
              with the release of version 4 and renovations to it, has the following steps.
              1. installing the test server with all 1,000,000 posts and top.
              2. test at least two days in.
              3. give her a test of moderators and super moderators for several days.
              4. upload it to live.

very labor intensive and slow work.

I like VB 4 work but it was quite demanding for me.
              born to fish forced to work

Comment

• audiokid
                • Apr 2009
                • 4.1.x

what a bunch of BS having to be so worried that this thing will work each upgrade. I get so stressed, expecting my site will fry at any giving moment even after testing. What kind of software has this many potential disasters and so fragmented. Everyone has a different experience. Its hard to know if its individual servers and Mysql issues or what. Its a nightmare.

But when you do it, man its a relief and I guess that's part of the fun! Kind of like hitting that sweet spot when golfing in a bug infested swamp and onto the next hole .

I'm not complaining, its starting to become comical. Man I love this.
                Cheers!

RECORDING ORG

Comment

• c.c.
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 3.8.x

I wish I was at the point of laughing. I'm still on stage one of disbelief and anger that I went away from the soild build of 3.8.x

Comment

• Dunhamzzz
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Wow I'm really glad I'm not the only person thinking this.

I did a test upgrade (first time I've even looked at vb since 4.0.1) and I was really hoping to upgrade at least 1 forums this time, but noooooooo.

Within 10 minutes I ran into the stylevars bug mentioned above - the funny thing is that I would never actually use this bastardised version of CSS, I'd just overwrite everything myself in my own stylesheet - all I wanted was test a temporary skin and to test the syle generator. Hah, and what a joke the style generator is! You can select 2 colours and it makes the rest of the decisions for you, going to "fine tune" means the preview doesn't update anymore! and by the time you save it to see what it looks like you can't go back to the generator! Genius.

Comment

• Daniel.P
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 4.0.x

style generator is a great idea - it is yet to develop guess I will have new features.
                      Great for people misunderstanding CSS.
                      Even for advanced users.
                      generates its basic theme for 10 seconds and then her additions as you like.

Comment

• Dunhamzzz
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by daniel_pet
                        style generator is a great idea - it is yet to develop guess I will have new features.
                        Great for people misunderstanding CSS.
                        Even for advanced users.
                        generates its basic theme for 10 seconds and then her additions as you like.
                        You obviously haven't used it yourself. Once you goto "fine tune", the live preview stops updating. And once you select "dark, white, grey" it then limits the colours you can edit?!

It would have been useful as well if the vb team had made the post icons transparent pngs with just a the 3d effects on them, so you could actually change the colours of the post icons to suit the rest of your forum too.

It's just another example of how they have rushed this out.

Comment

• chewbacca
                          • Sep 2004

I actually encountered it while changing the doctype. It wasn't as huge an issue for me as it might have been for others, but have some sympathy for less knowledgeable people.

Comment

• Bergler
                            • Dec 2006

Well, I have updated both my forums with out any major problems that I can find!! But the stress before hand was like flipping a coin for 10 G's!

Comment

• Daniel.P
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 4.0.x

It would have been useful as well if the vb team had made the post icons transparent pngs with just a the 3d effects on them, so you could actually change the colours of the post icons to suit the rest of your forum too.
                              Good suggestion

Style to the generator has problems and limitations but is a very good start - an idea I liked it a lot.
                              Do not many extras, few settings, but with time I hope this will change.

I also managed to frequently updated my forum without any problem.
                              but before that I tested a few times - I had a problem at several levels of update, and once they decided the original update went without a problem.

I have 1.2 million posts, 70,000 users, 30 GB attachments
                              not much, but still update took about 24 hours.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...