Can forum and testvb use the same database?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by M@tt
    What are the benefits over in the file system opposed to the database?

The file system method is the preferred method but you have to chmod (changing the permissions of) the folders so vbulletin can place the uploaded files into them. Its not hard, but it can be a little overwhelming for more novice users. The benefits include a smaller database (which means faster backups and less database overhead).

Storing these items in the database is okay for a small site. The only real benefit is that the attachment items are included in your database backup. Of course, if they are in the file system - you can just use your ftp program to download those folders to your PC. Or use SSH first to zip them up then use ftp to download them.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Dr House
      • Dec 2008

I found where move from SQL to filesystem.
      How I can set to write always to the filesystem instead SQL?

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by M@tt
        What are the benefits over in the file system opposed to the database?
        Easy to upload-download 100s of Megabytes with FTP from-to the file system.
        Hard to download-upload from-to the database.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• SkyStryder
          • Oct 2007

I am trying to create a working copy of my existing forum so that I can
          test the upgrade process from 3.8.4 to 4.0.2 on a test copy. What is the
          best way to do this? The following details my attempts...

I am trying to create a vbtest but it is not working correctly.
          I made a complete duplicate of forum in vbtest. I created
          an exact copy of the database and gave it a new name.
          I modified config.php in vbtest to point to the copy of the database.
          It will start up but not allow me to login. There is a settings table in
          the database that specifies the forum path and cookie var. I did try changing it
          to the vbtest path but that was not enough. Obviously there must be more to it. 8-(
          There must be a ton of people trying this. Anyone successful?

add. Since I can't get logged into the ACP, I can't change the settings...
          Last edited by SkyStryder; Tue 23 Feb '10, 1:01pm. Reason: additional info

Comment

• RadioErewan
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
            The file system method is the preferred method but you have to chmod (changing the permissions of) the folders so vbulletin can place the uploaded files into them. Its not hard, but it can be a little overwhelming for more novice users. The benefits include a smaller database (which means faster backups and less database overhead).

Storing these items in the database is okay for a small site. The only real benefit is that the attachment items are included in your database backup. Of course, if they are in the file system - you can just use your ftp program to download those folders to your PC. Or use SSH first to zip them up then use ftp to download them.
            Hmmm, always considered database attachment storage as better for scalability, better for huge forums running clustered servers.

Comment

• melbo
              • Apr 2005
              • 3.8.x

if you enter http://your-site/admincp with the /admincp at the end, it should take you in. Otherwise you can find the tools.php file in 'do not upload'. I think instructions are in the file? not sure but it will allow you to make these changes if you are totally locked out.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by RadioErewan
                Hmmm, always considered database attachment storage as better for scalability, better for huge forums running clustered servers.
                Im not a guru at this, and I don't have a site anywhere near the size required for clustered servers -- but -- that's possibly 10's of gig's of attachments for a site that size just sitting in your DB and taking up database connections and database resources when they could be effortlessly served thru a file server. Ever notice database servers have hefty processors and file servers are P4's or simpler?
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• RadioErewan
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                  Im not a guru at this, and I don't have a site anywhere near the size required for clustered servers -- but -- that's possibly 10's of gig's of attachments for a site that size just sitting in your DB and taking up database connections and database resources when they could be effortlessly served thru a file server. Ever notice database servers have hefty processors and file servers are P4's or simpler?
                  Just remember what my server admin told me. There are tools already to scale up MySQL based server farm depending on your traffic. Even at hourly peaks (I was told Google does something like this). I am also noob in this area, but just asked him, why there is database storage for attachments in vB ;-)
                  ps. Database storage is default vB setting IIRC. It is safe comparing to file storage (not possible to upload shell script and run it directly from DB)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...