Can forum and testvb use the same database?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr House
    • Dec 2008

[Suite] Can forum and testvb use the same database?

Can I install testvb on the same database of the standard forum?
    So I could test the official forum with some changes that I do only in the testvb settings.

When I start the testvb installation do I have to close the official forum?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dr House; Mon 22 Feb '10, 11:33pm.
  • borbole
    • Feb 2010

Yes, you can. But you will have to use a different db prefix when installing the test forum.

Comment

• Dr House
      • Dec 2008

I want to use the same 3Ds so the same DB.
      So I could read the same 3D.
      It's possible?
      Thanks

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

You cannot point your test site to the exact same database. You need to make a copy of the database and import it and then point your test installation at the newly imported test database.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Dr House
          • Dec 2008

Ok.
          Thanks

Comment

• Dr House
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Lynne
            You cannot point your test site to the exact same database. You need to make a copy of the database and import it and then point your test installation at the newly imported test database.
            Whats'up if I do it?

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dr House
              Whats'up if I do it?
              You will get a ton of database errors if you do this. Are you running different versions on the two forums? If so, the database structure has changed. If you are running the same version, then everytime you do something on one site, it will get passed to the other site and can cause problems.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                • Sep 2001

The problem with trying to use the same database is that there is no easy way to backup the live tables and reimport that data into the current database. And if you run into issues, its easier to wipe the test database and reimport the data for another clean trial. There is no reason not to create a second database for testing purposes. If you don't, most likely you screw something up and loose your live site and the test site. Not worth the risk imho.
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• borbole
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                  The problem with trying to use the same database is that there is no easy way to backup the live tables and reimport that data into the current database. And if you run into issues, its easier to wipe the test database and reimport the data for another clean trial. There is no reason not to create a second database for testing purposes. If you don't, most likely you screw something up and loose your live site and the test site. Not worth the risk imho.
                  Technically you can use the same database for both forums. I did it myself before when I had a hosting plan with only one database limit. You can do it by having different prefixes for both forums. Then after you export the database of your live forum, you must open the sql file and change all the table prefixes to match those of the test forum, save the changes and then import it. It won''t affect the main database but the thing is that it is too much of a hassle to do it. The easiest way it would be to have 2 different databases for both forums. But if the OP is in a hosting plan that allows only one db than he can install both forums in the same db by doing what I described above.

Comment

• Dr House
                    • Dec 2008

Clear!
                    Thanks

Comment

• borbole
                      • Feb 2010

You are welcome. But if your hosting plan allows more than 1 database then it would be best to use a seperate one for your test forum.

Comment

• Dr House
                        • Dec 2008

I'll use a separate one, but I have to reduce it because there's not enought free space to have both.
                        But I don't know how... (OT)

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                          • Sep 2001

make sure you are saving avatars, signatire pics, profile pics and attachments in the file system. Byeefaulg it's in the database
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• YZFRydn
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Alright, I have looked around for a good tutorial on how to do this. This is what I understand so far.

I make a backup of my current DB, create a new DB and restore the backup to this new DB, then copy files from the forum root to the new folder and point the database to the new restored one?

Comment

• M@tt
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                              make sure you are saving avatars, signatire pics, profile pics and attachments in the file system. Byeefaulg it's in the database
                              What are the benefits over in the file system opposed to the database?
                              sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...