Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

2 Forums, Same Server, Super-Imposed Over Itself - Not Happy

Well... I decided to begin a second upgrade today on another site, went into the process of doing a demo install first in a folder on the site... a DB error occurred during the install and it decided to super impose parts of itself over another vb DB installed on the same server, different domain (folder)... fully corrupted it and cannot believe it.

Is it the new VB? Is it the server? Is it MySQL? Well... unimpressed and never had such a thing occur in my life.
  • cellarius
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Never heard of that happen before, and I ran half a dozen and more test installations during alpha and beta testing on the same server, in addition to my live board and a testing instance for that one still on 3.8.4. I know of several others that ran/run 3.8.4 parallel to 4 on the same machine.

I'd say that's either a server problem of yours or a malconfiguration on your part. The point is not the folder you're installing the files into, but the database and/or prefix settings you set in config.php. Maybe there lies the problem, since you point out several times you installed into a different folder, but say nothing about the database. If you used the same database/prefix settings, things there are bound to break.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

Hey Cellarius...

Yer, not sure what exactly has gone wrong. I triple checked the config and it is correct. say www.site.com exists as vb4 already. Then I have www.secondsite.com. This is the one I was doing a test upgrade on in www.secondsite.com/upgrade being the folder. Copied all files and database from secondsite.com into upgrade folder, renamed database obviously and then config.php to match the upgrade folder DB... install.

The database install attempt at www.secondsite.com/upgrade overwrote www.site.com. Both hosted on the same server, it physically imposed parts of one over another domain. The actual www.secondsite.com which I copied for a test upgrade is fine, got everything correct with files and so forth.

Same same here... uploaded and wrote vb heaps during beta and rc stages... have no idea how this happened. ServInt have no idea how this happened.

Comment

• hornstar6969
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

I have a feeling you did not change your config.php details to reflect the test database.
        Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

• cellarius
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Yep, that really sounds like a config.php mixup somewhere.

Comment

• Project-Buckfast
            • Jul 2006

Yes. Sounds you uploaded the config.php from your first upgrade. This included the database details of the first site.

There's been a mix up on your end.
            UniteTheCows - File Sharing & Digital Media Resource

Comment

• anthonyparsons
              • Mar 2005

I thought the same thing... double checked the config, triple checked it, that was my first priority. It correctly reflects the backup database...

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                • May 2003

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                I thought the same thing... double checked the config, triple checked it, that was my first priority. It correctly reflects the backup database...
                I have 4 different vBulletin installs (2 live, 2 test) on one server, and have not experienced this. Two are vB4, two are 3.8.4.
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• goyo
                  • Dec 2002

A few years ago I had similar mix-up (on a completely different script)...it turned out it was a very badly configured server wide PHP opcode cacher.

Comment

• cellarius
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

important point, goyo. Anthony, do you use memcache or xcache or the like? If so, you need to specify different datastore prefixes in config.php at this line:
                    PHP Code:
                    // $config['Datastore']['prefix'] = ''; 
                    Else the two datastores will conflict in cache and break your forums.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                      • Mar 2005

That would be it Cellarius... excellent point and thank you for that. Yes, I do use memcached. Probably why it only made it as far as a few steps into the process then did what it did.

That would be the solution to the problem. Thank you very much.

Comment

• cellarius
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Glad we solved the riddle

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                          • Mar 2005

Well... one thing learnt from this, is that now we know exactly what will happen if using Memcached and you install a second forum on the same physical server, different domain... the one you install will overwrite data of the existing if the prefix is not unique for each.

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

Its not unique to memcached - it will happen with xcache, apc or any other - in all cases you need a prefix, just like you do with the database.

In fact, ive never quite understood why it doesnt default to using the table prefix (unless you override it), seems to me that would head off any issues in most cases.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• cellarius
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Hm, but it's perfectly possible to install different forums into seperate databases using the same database prefix, is it not?

Comment