• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erocka
    • Sep 2008

[Forum] Can't Install

I go to the install.php and get this

Code:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /path/to/domains/sofreshforums.com/html/install/install.php on line 332
    No idea where to go from here!
  • melbo
    • Apr 2005
    • 3.8.x

I don't think you should have the /html in that url; the entire URL looks wrong to me. What did you type in to "install" and where did you upload the files in your 'upload' folder?

Comment

• Erocka
      • Sep 2008

html isn't in the actual URL- that's the server path. It's the way my host is setup.
      I uploaded all files in the upload folder to the root.

I've been using VB for about 3 years and this is def something I've never encountered.

Comment

• melbo
        • Apr 2005
        • 3.8.x

Try uploading files again. Did you unistall/turn off all add-on and mods before you started? db Backup?
        Have your forum files always been in root in the past and not in a /forum directory?

I got the same thing when poking around and I think you may have some files in root that are in conflict. You should still be able to grab a MySQL backup, clear your root and start from scratch if you have a backup of all your image/avatars, etc.

Comment

• melbo
          • Apr 2005
          • 3.8.x

read this if you haven't alread

Comment

• Erocka
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by melbo
            Try uploading files again. Did you unistall/turn off all add-on and mods before you started? db Backup?
            Have your forum files always been in root in the past and not in a /forum directory?

I got the same thing when poking around and I think you may have some files in root that are in conflict. You should still be able to grab a MySQL backup, clear your root and start from scratch if you have a backup of all your image/avatars, etc.
            I'm actually doing a fresh install. I've always used the root before.

I've deleted all and re-uploaded all several times today. Same thing.

Comment

• melbo
              • Apr 2005
              • 3.8.x

not sure what to suggest. Maybe your config.php file is not correct. Maybe not renamed properly. You've been doing this for a few years so I'm sure you didn't overlook any of that but it doesn't hurt to check for a delete" next to db name, etc.

I copied all files from my live site to a test directory and then ran an upgrade rather than an install and never had any problems.

I'm sure a vB wizard will be by shortly.

Comment

• IanW-GC8
                • Jan 2003
                • 3.8.x

Check what version of PHP your host is running.

Comment

• Erocka
                  • Sep 2008

Never mind. I figured it out. Had to add a line into my .htaccess for PHP 5.

AddHandler php5-script .php

If you get the same error, see what your host instructs for accessing running PHP 5. =)

Comment

• melbo
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Glad to hear it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...