X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Filgga
    • Dec 2006
    • 4.1.x

[Suite] Theme: I fear upgrading...

Guys, I have made a lot of hacks to my forum theme, I fear upgrading before getting a new theme that will be compatible with the latest version, what's your suggestion?

I have already ordered my Suite anyway...
    I'm back; hell was full!
  • icarusforde
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

Install a test site and start skinning. Your old style wont work, sorry to say.

Comment

• SecondV
      • May 2006
      • 3.8.x

With vB4 now being Gold - you'll probably start seeing quite a few skin designers updating their skins. It probably won't take too long for that to start happening.

As icarusforde says, try things out on a test/development environment. Since templates are quite a bit different in vB4, than vB3 - you may want to read up on the new syntax as well. You may be able to convert your template modifications yourself

Originally posted by Filgga
      Guys, I have made a lot of hacks to my forum theme, I fear upgrading before getting a new theme that will be compatible with the latest version, what's your suggestion?

I have already ordered my Suite anyway...
      Regards,
      Eric Sizemore

My modifications

Comment

• Filgga
        • Dec 2006
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by icarusforde
        Install a test site and start skinning. Your old style wont work, sorry to say.
        Huh!

I can't do any installations then! I have to wait guys, have lost months doing some hacks, this sucks!

Originally posted by SecondV
        With vB4 now being Gold - you'll probably start seeing quite a few skin designers updating their skins. It probably won't take too long for that to start happening.

As icarusforde says, try things out on a test/development environment. Since templates are quite a bit different in vB4, than vB3 - you may want to read up on the new syntax as well. You may be able to convert your template modifications yourself
        Then I will need to employ a new designer for my site lol... This' killing my nerves :-D
        I'm back; hell was full!

Comment

• icarusforde
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

Huh!

I can't do any installations then! I have to wait guys, have lost months doing some hacks, this sucks!
          You were told that they would not be working....

But do a test install, like i said.

Comment

• thomasarie
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

I think I have a similar problem. The theming mechanism is very different compared to 3.x series.

The stylesheet (vbulletin.css, for example) now resides under StyleVar and there are lots of variables to modify from there. I think I agree with the idea to create another installation and start skinning (if having another designer is not an option).

I asked vBulletin staff about this, and yes we're allowed to create another installation. BUT we need to make it private (password protected), and the directory/folder should be named 'testvb'.

I used this to create a test upgrade.. everything works.. without any major issues. The problem is... my forum is using the vB4 Default style. I think, the default style for vB 3.x is much better. Of course, it's my personal opinion.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...